Update on my research

I just want to give an update since everyone here went out of their way to help. You all deserve a Big Thank You because you all pointed me in directions in which to go. Well I Just received 200 pages of info on the 692nd CA AA B. ( Coastal Artiliary Anti-Aircraft battery) made up of 73 men.

And of course one of my main Subjects Roman Frankowski.

Well It turns out He was there when the battery was activated in June 42' at Camp Hulen, and then trained at Fort Bliss, TX.

Anyhow I was able to trace where he was during his war. Landed in North Africa ( French Morocco). Was in Mehdia Plage on Nov. 17th 42'. Then Port Lyantey until Dec. 20th.

He then was moved to Tebessa , Algeria. They relieved battery B of the 105th CA Bn.

So I will take it that is where he was killed Jan 16,43. 1 day after a letter was sent confirming the 692nd was part of the new 5th Army. They were attached with the 9th Infantry until March 1943.

SO thats that so far, I have much more to do. Just wanted to give you a quick update.

If anyone has any idea how to contact former veterans...PLEASE!!! I have lists of names.... but the 692nd does not have any reunions or anything.

Bad News: VFW Post 5530 named in Honor of Roman will be sold by the end of the month. The future looks grim. So I am busy trying to preserve what history they have left. But they don't seem to care to much. We'll see.

Thanks again guys.

Chris

Toledo,Ohio

Well what can I say except, AWESOME. I am so glad that we could be instrumental in your research. Always my pleasure and it really makes my day.

As in regards to contacting former veterans... right now this is about the best way. There are so many daughters and sons and grandkids doing research, that someone is bound to see this and respond to your inquiries. I have received many this way.

Right now I would tell you to post on as many sites as you can. You might be very surprised by the outcome. Certainly don't give up hope. :pdt34:

If I find out anything in the interim, I'll be sure to let you know.

Best to you,

M

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks for the update Chris, glad to see you`ve found so much more info on Mr Frankowski. :pdt34: I kinda figured the unit was moved to Algeria by Jan `43.

We`re happy to have been able to help even if it just a little bit. I know how hard it can be to trace a small unit history.

Again, thanks for the update and please any new info you may get.

Larry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Div - Digital Research now online Walt's Daughter 2 3,984 12-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Alsace Campaign Then and now - Update paul torak 0 2,955 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Last Post: paul torak
  A breakthrough in my research on the 1251st civilwargal 5 7,131 11-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Last Post: civilwargal