The Hunt for the Lost Squadron

We watched this today at 9 AM on The History Channel. What a fantastic program. At the end I had tears in my eyes while watching an actual crew member from the Lost Squadron, sit in the cockpit, and at the very end when the P-38 went down the runway again after several decades. When she took off it was breathtaking!

So much effort went into this effort. This plane was under 250 feet of ice in Greenland. It was just incredible how they dug her out and carried her section by section to the surface. You GOTTA watch this to understand and get the feel for the entire process from finance, to team development to search and rescue and then rebuilding. I still don't know how they managed it.

This is how the History Channel described the show.

A team of US adventurers hunts for a lost treasure on an Arctic glacier--a squadron of WWII fighter planes that disappeared after crash-landing in Greenland in 1942. Their quest to solve this historic mystery spans 20 years and demands heroic vision and innovative new technology, but also puts the team's lives in constant danger, destroys friendships, ends marriages, and causes individual financial ruin. It's a story of obsession, commitment, and the high cost of accomplishing the extraordinary.

See Misha's post here on our forum for more info! :armata_PDT_37:

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?show...l=Lost+Squadron

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Dang it..... missed that! Hope it's shown again soon. :banghead:

Dogdaddy :woof:

I caught the last 20 minutes or so. I did see the plane take off. It was a good one!

Brooke

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heavy Metal Spitfire Squadron Walt's Daughter 2 3,724 05-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter