About adopting graves in the Netherlands

The idea of adopting graves of the American liberators started in February 1945, at which time a citizens' committee, "Burger Comite Margraten," launched a campaign to promote the adoption of the graves. The adoptors were expected to visit the grave, maintain it and lay flowers. Communication with the surviving relatives was also encouraged. By the second Memorial Day (1946) all of the 18,764 graves had been adopted, and over the past 62 yrs the care of the graves has been past down from generation to generation, They care for the grave by visiting that grave regularly and placing flowers on the grave each week in rememberance of the brave young men who gave their lives in helping to free this small country from the hands of Hitler's death grip.

In 2002, the work of the cemetery committee was taken over by the Association for Adopting Graves at the American Cemetery of Margraten. The Association is continuing the work of the commitee and keeping the adoption registry updated.

Stichting Adoptie Graven Amerikaanse Begraafplaats Margraten

(Foundation for Adopting Graves at the American Cemetery)

Postbus 22, 6269 ZG Margraten, The Netherlands

E-mail: st.adoptie.graven@margraten.nl

Thanks for the background on that, and also for the present day info. :armata_PDT_37:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you for sharing this information! This is their website; http://www.adoptiegraven-margraten.nl/englisch/index1.htm

Daan:

I will make sure to place that link on my main site this week. Thank you for the info! And to all who took part and take part in this; my hats off to you. :armata_PDT_37:

Marion J Chard

It's heartwarming hearing so many are adopting war graves.

I am in the process of adopting the grave of Homan K Jackson of the 4th AD.

Homan is buried at Henri-Chapelle Cemetery.

I'm impatiently waiting for the papers ..... anyone knows how long it can take?

Erwin

1945 Emmy Franson, a teacher at Margraten boys school, adopted my brother, Robert Morneweck. Emmy kept in touch with my family, she died last year. Emmy 2 children ,Ludo and Emmy helped.

Art Morneweck

Yesterday, I have been granted the adoption of the grave of Pfc Leslie C Banaka.

He was with 602nd TD Bn and got killed when his M-18 hit a Teller mine in the Huldange area (Luxembourg) on February 21, 1945.

If I'm not mistaken, this TD Bn was attached to 80th Infantry (Blue Ridge) at that time.

Leslie was 36 years old.

I even found his photo and that of his brother on the Internet. :pdt34:

Leslie Banaka 602nd TD BN

He had a brother - Samuel- who was killed on July 12, 1944. Samuel served in 313th Regiment/79th Infantry Division.

He probably got killed either by sniper or artillery fire right after they took La Haye du Puits, Normandy where they fought elements of a SS unit.

Samuel Banaka - 313th Infantry Regiment

I am honored being able to adopt his grave and that of Homan K Jackson (4AD).

At the end of this month, I probably go visit their graves and pick up my adoption papers.

Erwin

Yesterday, I did go to the American Military Cemetery of Henri-Chapelle and picked up the two certificates regarding the adoption of the graves of Sgt. Homan Jackson (4AD) and Pfc. Leslie Banaka.

I also heard there that there will be a new Superintendent and he/she will no longer issue these certificates. That's not really good news. :banghead:

I also visited the American Military Cemetery of Neuville-en-Condroz also known as the Ardennes US Military Cemetery. Here, I visited the graves of the 6 Americans - 5 Glidermen and the Glider Pilot - who were KIA on September 17, 1944 in my area (see my topic "Glider Monument".

There, I saw a WWII Veteran visiting the grave of his buddy.

Even after 63 years tears were still running.

I respectfully kept my distance and only said a friendly "hello".

If someone's interested, I might open a separate topic with some photos of my little trip.

Erwin.

Erwin:

Gee, I could picture that WWII vet at the grave of his buddy. It makes me so sad. :unsure: To him it must have felt just like it happened yesterday and all those years quickly vanished.

We look forward to your stories and photos as always.

Respectfully,

M

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Search for detailed information about Allied Aircraft Crashes in The Netherlands in WWII Clinton Dill 0 2,112 01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Clinton Dill
  Japanese government seeks graves at Attu Walt's Daughter 0 2,082 10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Graves of World War II personalities rudolph arruda 0 1,912 05-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Last Post: rudolph arruda
  adopting Robert Morneweck's grave Walt's Daughter 0 72,779 05-27-2005, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  adopting Robert Morneweck's grave Walt's Daughter 3 67,190 05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Cadetat6