Anthony Nigro - a mini 48th Reunion!

What a great evening. Was kind of tired today and just laying around watching TV all night when I received an email from someone new. I left off addresses and phone numbers for privacy:

=========

Marion

I am writing you to ask a special favor. I am the nephew of Anthony Nigro.

He was with the 48th and served with commanding officer Al Kincer during his tour of duty 1941/ 43 he also filled in as his driver when (rex) couldn't make it. My uncle last saw Commander Kincer and his wife many years ago when they came up to New York to attend my uncle tony's nephews wedding.He never talks about his time over there.but the other day i was jumping around on the computer and came across some information about his old outfit and Al Kincer. he kind of lumped up and couldn't stop talking about his old outfit and commander Kincer i am 73 years old and see him all the time and never heard him talk so much about his tour in the service. My uncle is not doing to well these day's and i was wondering if you could get in touch with his old company commander. or any of his old buddy's to drop him a line or maybe even call him his phone number is (left off for privacy). his address is above. My address is Salvatore Cataldo (left off for privacy)

anything anything that you can do to cheer him up will be more then appreciated. on top of all that he has gone thru he now has Parkinson and i love him to much not to try and make him smile again before he leaves us. Thank You and God Bless

Sal Cataldo 101st abn 506th reg.

==========

Well I wrote back and told Sal that I had already forwarded his email to Al and the gang. About a half hour later I received an email from Al telling me that he already contacted Tony and they had a great chat. Here is Al's email to me:

==========

Dear Sal:

Couldn't wait to call Tony. We had a great reunion, he sounds well & I would say his memory is good. I appreciate your interest in Tony & his Military unit. He was a great soldier, went through lots of tough cold & rainy times. He was with us through out the war, one of our first recruits in the fall of 42. He came home in 45. WE were in Berchtesgaden at the end of the war. He was in the first platoon & served as my driver when Rex Bass was in jail (hah) or sick. I will send you his certificate of "The WOW Memorial" as soon as you reply. I need Tony's home address if you will. I'll send him a roster & some things. Thanks again, as a kin of Tony's you are a member of the 48th Engineer Association. Best regards AL Kincer

==========

As you can see, you never know what will happen in the span of a day. We've had a little mini reunion tonight thanks to the ol' Internet. God bless Tony, Al and all the "boys"! :wub:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Original letter from a 540th reunion - 1948 Walt's Daughter 0 1,894 02-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Looking for Lt Arthur Peternell - 48th Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 3,315 03-23-2015, 02:22 PM
  1108th (48th/235th Bns) Photos Walt's Daughter 9 10,603 02-27-2015, 10:59 AM
  Box of negatives from a 48th Engineer photographer Walt's Daughter 1 2,653 09-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  157th Engineer Combat Battalion Reunion Photographs brian m 3 5,020 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
  B Co, 48th Eng Bn and came home on the Admiral Capps Walt's Daughter 0 2,529 10-07-2012, 12:20 AM
  Joe Specker Medal of Honor - 48th CE Walt's Daughter 4 8,459 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
  The story of "Sniper" from WE the 48th Walt's Daughter 0 2,357 08-07-2011, 09:22 AM
  Trail of the 48th Walt's Daughter 0 1,899 08-07-2011, 09:05 AM
  Orville O. "Bill" Munson, 48th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 4,194 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM