Monuments to Engineer units.

Here are two photos of monuments to Engineer units in the Ardennes area.

291stECBn-Neufmoulin92.jpg

This one is standing in Neufmoulin (Belgium, Trois-Ponts area) and is dedicated to the men of the 291st Combat Engineers.

It were these men - I believe - who the infamous SS-Colonel Peiper called "Those dammed Engineers! :banghead: '". They prevented him from crossing rivers by blowing up the bridges right before his nose. They also delayed his advance considerably. Let's not forget the major roles these men played (the war was not won only by 101st AB or 82nd AB and 2nd AD B) ).

511thEngLightPontonCo-Redange90.jpg

This monument is located in Redange (Luxembourg).

Dedicated to the 511th Engineer Light Ponton Company.

Sorry for the not so good quality of the photos but they were taken in 1990 (no digital camera).

Erwin

Let's not forget the major roles these men played (the war was not won only by 101st AB or 82nd AB and 2nd AD ).

Ah, you've already won my :heartpump: on this forum. :love: Let's see if we can keep educating folks to that very fact. :pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I have to tell you that I'm a lucky woman because I got to speak with Col David E Pergrin of the famous 291st, on a couple of occasions. He even sent signed copies of his books, First Across the Rhine and Engineering the Victory.

He's still an amazing man at this age. If I remember correctly he will be 88 this year.

We talked about his time in the ETO and he was gracious and inquired about my dad and his unit too. Not a hint of ego, but an absolutely wonderful gentleman. He knew his stuff in and out and was sharp as a tack. :pdt:

Marion J Chard

Wow, you were very lucky to have been able to speak to him!

During the 80s and 90s, I wrote to quite a number of Veterans and even had the honor of meeting a few.

Harry Traynor and Richard Bowman (both 704th TD guys) became very good friends of mine.

I also was in touch with Maj. Gen. George Ruhlen (CO 3rd Armored Field Artillery Bn - 9th Armored Division).

In 1990, I spent a month in Boston (Massachusetts) with Jim Ferullo (26th ID) and in 1992 with James Demopoulos (Engineer - later 26th ID) in Albuquerque (New Mexico).

At both occasions, I had a great time and even when I'm 85 I'll still remember them.

Erwin

Sounds like you've had some good experiences too. You will always have great memories of all the vets you've made friends with over the years. I'm sure you feel as I do; it's enriched your life and gave you a better grasp of history.
Marion J Chard

Yes, it sure put my life in perspective.

One Veteran, Kerman Arthur Sheckler (506PIR - 101AB), had a major influence on my life.

He turned my view on life around (in a positive way).

I enjoyed the honor of being in touch with all of them.

Btw, if anyone has photos of other Engineer monuments , feel free to add them here.

After August (first, I go visit my girlfriend, hopefully), I probably will be visiting the Ardennes again.

So if I encounter something, I'll post it here.

Erwin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aviation Eng units built airfields in the Desert Training Center Walt's Daughter 0 2,227 05-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Types of Engineer Units in WWII Walt's Daughter 5 13,853 12-13-2015, 10:30 AM
  Miscellaneous info on various engineer units Walt's Daughter 2 3,999 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM
  Forestry Units in Europe Walt's Daughter 9 10,488 11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Books regarding Engineer units. Big Pete 5 7,188 07-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  Types of Engineer units Walt's Daughter 0 2,466 05-30-2007, 04:05 PM
  More info on engineer units for you Walt's Daughter 2 133,413 03-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Custermen