History Channel - Alfred Jodl - May 24, 2007

Up and coming show of interest on the History Channel

Hitler's Managers

Episode: Alfred Jodl: The General

On May 7, 1945, General Alfred Jodl signed the document of German capitulation. As Supreme Commander of the army, he managed the daily course of the war. While other generals led men into battle, Jodl stayed in headquarters, taking part in over 5,000 meetings. He reported to Hitler, putting his orders on paper and ensuring they were forwarded to the responsible authorities. After Hitler committed suicide, Jodl signed the surrender. At the Nuremberg Trials, he vehemently denied personal responsibility for the crimes committed by the Nazi regime, though he had issued several of the relevant orders. He presented himself as a loyal but politically naive army officer who had applied himself solely to his military duties and knew nothing of the Holocaust and other atrocities.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=...p;action=detail

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

To paraphrase one of Jodl's commands, he gave the Wehrmacht permission to treat civilians in the occupied countries as ruthlessly as they wished, including "hanging them upside down." He was not the officer & gentleman that he attempted to be treated as....None of them were really, including Albert Speers, who should also have been hanged in 1946. (This opinion was given to me by *Armin Lehman in an email also.)

Dogdaddy :woof:

*Name-dropping permitted on birthdays! :lol:

Up and coming show of interest on the History Channel

Hitler's Managers

Episode: Alfred Jodl: The General

On May 7, 1945, General Alfred Jodl signed the document of German capitulation. As Supreme Commander of the army, he managed the daily course of the war. While other generals led men into battle, Jodl stayed in headquarters, taking part in over 5,000 meetings. He reported to Hitler, putting his orders on paper and ensuring they were forwarded to the responsible authorities. After Hitler committed suicide, Jodl signed the surrender. At the Nuremberg Trials, he vehemently denied personal responsibility for the crimes committed by the Nazi regime, though he had issued several of the relevant orders. He presented himself as a loyal but politically naive army officer who had applied himself solely to his military duties and knew nothing of the Holocaust and other atrocities.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=...p;action=detail

Watched it...now watching about Albert Speers. An interesting footnote: Armin Lehman (messenger boy for Fuehrer Bunker) said that he thinks Speers deserved hanging also. I agree....

Jim

I caught some of this while I was getting ready for work this morning. Pretty interesting stuff.

Brooke

I caught some of this while I was getting ready for work this morning. Pretty interesting stuff.

Brooke

I thought so too, Brooke. Jodl tried to cop a plea for his actions saying that he was only a soldier following orders. He also said "the Jewish question was a political decision." Only half-true, because the Army (and the military arm of the SS) were charged with implementing these "political decisions" in Nazi Germany. I never tire of watching programs about the Nazi war crimes trials...

Jimpost-150-1180129803_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   experiment02.jpg (Size: 10.7 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Heroes Channel - Those Damned Engineers Walt's Daughter 7 11,245 11-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The History Channel's "The World Wars Walt's Daughter 2 4,073 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM
  "SHOOTOUT" History Channel Series afc7883 0 3,404 04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Last Post: afc7883
  Sun Nov 15, 09 - WWII program - History Channel Walt's Daughter 16 14,764 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Hero Ships - The History Channel Series Walt's Daughter 0 4,361 09-21-2008, 09:36 AM
  African American is WWII - History Channel Walt's Daughter 0 2,883 02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
  Tonight on the Weather Channel civilwargal 5 6,892 02-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Pearl Harbor on the Military Channel 12/7 civilwargal 9 10,314 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Last Post: moose
  History Channel Shoot-Out Walt's Daughter 10 12,171 11-05-2007, 11:07 AM
  Hitler Speaks - The History Channel Walt's Daughter 2 4,742 08-29-2007, 08:47 AM