Red Road from Stalingrad

I have read so far only 3 chapters and already I would recommend this one! It is written in a style that anyone can understand, whether or not the reader was ever in the military. Very down to earth descriptions of life in Hell, or the Eastern Front if you prefer. During WWII the Russians and Germans really hated each other with a passion that was evident, and unmerciful. So far the most revolting thing to me was the use of dogs as anti-tank weapons by the Red Army. The dogs were trained to eat only under a moving tank, so that when the time came they (the dogs) had explosive packs strapped to them which were detonated by remote control..... :pdt33: Ever since reading that part I have been cheering for the Germans!

The book is 195 pages and published by Pen and Sword Books Limited. English translation in 2004.

Dogdaddy :woof:

Finished this great book recently. The Red Army infantryman was not given the option to retreat during WWII...instead there were "Holding Battalions" behind the front line soldiers, waiting to shoot any of their soldiers who attempted to do an 'about face!' :armata_PDT_23::machinegun:

Very interesting read, and only 194 pages. Author's name is Mansur Abdulin...

Dogdaddy :woof:

From what I've read about the Red Army, I'm surprised they didn't use their own soldiers as anti tank weapons. They're not exactly known for their humanitarian efforts.

Brooke

Don't forget one thing; thanks to the Russians, the German Army could not concentrate its full might towards the Western Front.

If Russia hadn't been on the Allied side, things would have been completely different know; hundreds of German units were blown to bits on the Eastern Front that otherwise might have been sent to the Western Front.

The use of dogs as anti-tank 'devices' is more legend than truth.

Same as a similar story of Germans using cats or rats as 'moving bombs'.

Be careful with stories like this.

True, the Russian Army operated very harsh.

NKVD troops and political officers were always near to 'punish' retreating troops.

On the other hand, the Germans - especially near war's end - had 'flying courts' as well.

Special Police troops whose tasks was to execute officers and men from units who were not doing their duty or were in retreat.

Furthermore, do not forget the brutalities of certain German troops in Russia.

Many villages were burned to the ground, thousands of civilian lives were lost due to these 'torch battalions' (remember Peiper's outfit?).

Massacres like in Oradour-sur-Glane (France) happened there in thousand fold.

Hearing that people cheered for the Germans, makes my stomach turn. :banghead:

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. :rolleyes:

Erwin

Hearing that people cheered for the Germans, makes my stomach turn. :banghead:

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. :rolleyes:

Erwin

Since you are referring to a comment I made I will reply directly..... Anyone who has been on this forum for any amount of time knows that I would NEVER seriously cheer for the Germans....I made that comment in jest, because I love dogs so much! Jesus Christ I am sick of this type of stuff!

Jim

Jest or not, comments like that can be very hurtful.

My grandmother was almost arrested and sent away by the Gestapo during WWII just because she called collaborators dirty so and sos.

And I am a lucky one as my grandmother or any other familymember did survive the war .... so many were never seen again.

That's why I reacted.

As for dogs, I have a dog too and it's cruel what people did and do with dogs or animals sometimes.

For my part, they can burn in hell for that.

But I wanted to point out that certain myths can be taken for truth.

For what I have read there were projects on both sides using animals as "living bombs" but the test results were so disappointing that they abandoned these projects almost immediately.

I do agree that Stalinism and Nazism walk hand in hand.

Stalin had the advantage of being on the Allied side (well, when Hitler decided to attack him in 1941 that is), but his reign was at least as brutal as Hitler's.

You are correct in saying that if I knew you I would know that you were joking.

But I don't know you, so I couldn't have known your true intention.

Erwin

Well it sounds as if you guys worked through that just fine. Great points by both!

Yes, sometimes it is hard to gather the intent of the author, but all is well that ends well. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"