How the 540th Lost Their Chinese Cook

maybe you`ve seen this about how the 540th lost their chineese cook in Operation Torch

it is mentioned on this page: WORLD WAR II PLUS 55 - NOVEMBER 8, 1942

http://www.usswashington.com/dl08no42d.htm

quoting from page:

Truscott, however, knows that his force of green troops has probably achieved all it can realistically accomplish, and perhaps more. He stumps back to his HQ at Blue Beach in the gathering dusk, to find only a flagpole and an exhausted radio operator. The radio man is out of touch with the ships offshore. The officers are lying around on the ground, asleep.

Cold, wet, miserable, frustrated, Truscott slumps down on a sand dune, watching lost troops pick their way through the sand and the dark, shouting curses and passwords ("George" is the password, "Patton" is the countersign) at each other. Truscott lights a cigarette to relieve the tension, violating his own orders, and sees other smokers doing the same.

As Truscott smokes, he sees a shadowy figure stumbling from man to man in the dark. The intruder stops in front of Truscott, and says in a thick accent, "Hey, gimme a cigarette."

Truscott does so, and the man says, "All wet. Gimme light too."

Truscott holds out his lighted cigarette and two officers wake up and aim their submachine guns into the stranger’s stomach, yelling "George!"

The intruder retorts, "George? Me no George! Me Thue P. Lee, cook, Company C, 540th Engineers! Best damn cook in the Army."

Truscott steals Lee to be his own cook…and then loses him later on to Patton. Nobody bothers to ask the 540th Engineers how they feel about losing their Chinese cook.

Larry

Larry:

Thanks so much for printing that here. I enjoyed reading it when you sent me the PM yesterday. It's a great story and as I stated to you, one that I had HEARD about, but never got to read the REAL thing. I know 'my guys' will love reading about it too and in fact I think I will place it in my next newsletter this summer.

Hey, how dare you take our cook! :pdt33:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another story by Art Cook - 36th Combat Eng Walt's Daughter 1 2,833 04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Last Post: 206thmpco
  Lost Engineer alkincer 0 2,847 03-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Last Post: alkincer