Saints and Soldiers

Marions quote: Just thought I would add this..." If you are ONLY into watching bang-bang shoot-em up movies, then you probably won't get into it. Let's face it, a great deal of time spent in the infantry included long bouts of no sleep, waiting and keeping watch. This is ain't Rambo fellows." How true Marion. Few people not there dont seem to realize being in actual combat was such a SMALL part of our life then in actual

hours or days or months. Mostly it was the just being scared, wet, cold, hungry, tired,,

dirty, and wondering what came next.. And when it would end. Decent sleep was mostly out of the question. I recall one night we stopped at a small shelled out village

we just took. I for one crawled into a bed for several hours. Next day I had a "visit"

from the "mechanized dandruff" I had picked up. It was scratch, scratch, scratch till I

got a can of delouseing powder from the medic. This was not unusual.

Joe:

Just going through this entire post today and I saw your quote above, and just had to add something.

Was talking to one of our store customers the other day, and asked them how they liked the rental, Flags of our Fathers,(we rent movies at our store). His comment? "It was okay. It was a bit slow." Oh good grief. Enough said. As we stated, unless it's bang, bang, bang, all the time, THOSE people find it boring. Well dang it, a lot of it was. Intense boredom quickly followed by intense fighting...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marions quote: Just thought I would add this..." If you are ONLY into watching bang-bang shoot-em up movies, then you probably won't get into it. Let's face it, a great deal of time spent in the infantry included long bouts of no sleep, waiting and keeping watch. This is ain't Rambo fellows." How true Marion. Few people not there dont seem to realize being in actual combat was such a SMALL part of our life then in actual hours or days or months. Mostly it was the just being scared, wet, cold, hungry, tired, dirty, and wondering what came next. And when it would end. Decent sleep was mostly out of the question. I recall one night we stopped at a small shelled out village we just took. I for one crawled into a bed for several hours. Next day I had a "visit" from the "mechanized dandruff" I had picked up. It was scratch, scratch, scratch till I got a can of delouseing powder from the medic. This was not unusual.

I'm with you Joe; I WONDER, what would be the difference between Battle of the Bulge, snow on level ground and the battle of Monte Cassino, yes snow and also wind,,going from rock to rock going uphill. Hey Joe, I didn't need any delouse powder!!! Just a little heat from our coleman stove. Roque

Joe:

Just going through this entire post today and I saw your quote above, and just had to add something.

Was talking to one of our store customers the other day, and asked them how they liked the rental, Flags of our Fathers,(we rent movies at our store). His comment? "It was okay. It was a bit slow." Oh good grief. Enough said. As we stated, unless it's bang, bang, bang, all the time, THOSE people find it boring. Well dang it, a lot of it was. Intense boredom quickly followed by intense fighting...

I was watching the History Channel's Color of War recently and one thing I remembered was that the average Combat Soldier in WWII fired his weapon approximately once every six or seven days: " Long periods of boredom and fatigue punctuated by moments of intense fear."

D.Daddy :woof:

DOGDADDY ; I AM NOT TAKING YOUR BAIT. ROQUE

JOE,, EASY DOES IT.

The only thing that he said, was the very same thing that I said in the above post and Joe agreed with it. Sorry I don't get it. :wacko:

I'm the one who began the post, that Joe replied to long ago. I stated, "Marions quote: Just thought I would add this..." If you are ONLY into watching bang-bang shoot-em up movies, then you probably won't get into it. Let's face it, a great deal of time spent in the infantry included long bouts of no sleep, waiting and keeping watch. This is ain't Rambo fellows."

Joe replied, "How true Marion. Few people not there dont seem to realize being in actual combat was such a SMALL part of our life then in actual hours or days or months. Mostly it was the just being scared, wet, cold, hungry, tired, dirty, and wondering what came next. And when it would end. Decent sleep was mostly out of the question. I recall one night we stopped at a small shelled out village we just took. I for one crawled into a bed for several hours. Next day I had a "visit" from the "mechanized dandruff" I had picked up. It was scratch, scratch, scratch till I got a can of delouseing powder from the medic. This was not unusual."

I then replied in my last one, "Joe:

Was talking to one of our store customers the other day, and asked them how they liked the rental, Flags of our Fathers,(we rent movies at our store). His comment? "It was okay. It was a bit slow." Oh good grief. Enough said. As we stated, unless it's bang, bang, bang, all the time, THOSE people find it boring. Well dang it, a lot of it was. Intense boredom quickly followed by intense fighting..."

Jim simply replied to Joe and I, and stated the very same thing, sweetie!

Marion J Chard

DOGDADDY ; I AM NOT TAKING YOUR BAIT. ROQUE

JOE,, EASY DOES IT.

Rocky, I don't play little games like that, but I am sick of having to explain that over and over. You should learn to read the entire post if you're going to participate in these forums, and I am personally tired of you hiding behind the "this old Dogface" line. I respect you for your service, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna take this crap anymore. You do the same thing over and over and then act like a hurt little puppydog when somebody calls you on it!

Jim

Jim:

I am very sorry that this has occured, and I apologize because this forum is my "baby". I don't know what the heck is going on lately, but I have taken measures to prevent this from occuring again.

You are a very treasured member here, and I won't tolerate anyone berating you or any of our other members any longer.

This should be and will remain a civilized forum. I am replying to you publicly because I want to make you and others aware that as head honcho, I will not tolerate rude behavior by any member to any other member now or in the future.

With deep regret,

M :unsure::pal:

Let me add that you have every right to be angry. I would be too!

Marion J Chard

I was watching the History Channel's Color of War recently and one thing I remembered was that the average Combat Soldier in WWII fired his weapon approximately once every six or seven days: " Long periods of boredom and fatigue punctuated by moments of intense fear."

D.Daddy

Yes, I've heard that FAMOUS quote before too. Yes, you have to imagine that a soldier was there for 6 months, a year, three years, or more during WWII, and many times went through very long periods of hiding, waiting, watching, and then BAM. Virtually every vet I talked to said the same thing. Long periods of in between, and then the hardest, longest days of their lives. It is hard to imagine. We can only appreciate from our end.

Marion J Chard

This link is very interesting .You can see the photos taken on 2003-09-07 .

Are the memorial to the Américan soldiers killed during the Malmedy

massacre in World War II

http://www.pbase.com/rmcbee/07be&page=2

Véronique

Here is more on that famous quote:

War, someone said, is long periods of intense boredom punctuated by short periods of intense fear. What helps you get through the fear is concentrating on what you have to do, fire a weapon, deploy a squad, whatever.

This quote and many like this are repeated throughout many wars. Was just reading an interesting article that started off with the civil war and went through modern history. All the men reiterated the same. Same feelings, just a different war.

I for one think it's great when movies take the time to reflect both sides of warfare. That is realistic. Unfortunately many movie watchers, especially the younger watchers, can't seem to accept this. If things aren't blowing up all the time, then they lose interest. That is sad. :(

Saints and Soldiers portrays both sides and that is why I enjoyed it so much.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Massacre of captured US Soldiers Walt's Daughter 0 2,855 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Berga: Soldiers of Another War afc7883 0 2,459 05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Last Post: afc7883