Saints and Soldiers

Article from World War II Magazine

Massacre at Malmédy

By carefully separating fact from fiction, a clearer picture emerges of the events surrounding the infamous execution of American POWs during the Battle of the Bulge.

By Michael Reynolds

The delightful Belgian town of Malmédy will forever be associated with the most infamous massacre of American troops in World War II. And yet, but for the presence of an Associated Press correspondent there in early January 1945, it is doubtful that this terrible incident would have ever achieved international notoriety. "Nazis Turned Machine Guns on GI POWs" wrote Hal Boyle in his January 1945 Stars and Stripes article, and from that first graphic account sprung a plethora of books and articles about the so-called Malmédy Massacre. Few of these accounts are based on fact, and most are embellished and inaccurate.

It is unlikely that we shall ever know the precise sequence of events at the Baugnez crossroads, near Malmédy, on December 17, 1944, or the reasons for them. The secret lies with the guilty and the dead. Nevertheless, many corroborated facts are known and a careful analysis of these facts can bring us closer to the truth of what happened.

Caption for photo

Soldiers work carefully to clear snow from the bodies of the Malmédy victims. Men from the 291st Engineers, some using metal detectors, were among the first to locate the bodies after the area was retaken in January 1945.

http://www.historynet.com/wwii/blmassacreatmalmedy/

post-11-1110415081_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   massacreatmalmedy_1.jpg (Size: 9.87 KB / Downloads: 0)

This was sent to Jim McAuliffe and the guys...

------------------

I just watched a new movie on CD that would be of interest to 87th Division Vets. The Movie, SAINTS & SOLDIERS, was released in 2004 and picked up 14 Best Picture Awards at Film Festivals nationwide. Based on actual reports of the period [Dec1944/Jan1945], it is describing events in the area between St Vith and Malmedy, Belgium during the beginning of the Battle of the Bulge when German troops overran and massacred American troops at Malmedy. The 87th was in this very area.

Four very disparate soldiers from one infantry company who escaped the massacre are joined by a downed British Air Observer who has info regarding the German troop dispositions. A German soldier also figures in the story as do some Belgium civilians. The plot concerns their efforts to penetrate the German lines and deliver the critical info to the American Command which they do at considerable personal cost. In the process, all undergo personal stress and character transformations. Weather conditions in the movie are nearly identical to those we actually experienced at the time. Snow ab 1.5 to 2.0 ft deep and cold.

None of the actors are name actors however some might be recognized as bit players from other movies. I thought the movie was great as did my family, We got our copy via Blockbuster although others surely have it

Gerry Calehuff D345.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Lee and I belong to NetFlix http://www.netflix.com and they also have the movie. I just added it to my queue this morning. Of course I will give my review as soon as I watch it. :pdt34::pdt33:

Marion J Chard

Jim:

Please thank your buddy Gerry Calehuff D345, for the wonderful referral and the terrific review of this movie. My husband and I just got done watching it a few minutes ago and both thought that it was one of the VERY BEST war flicks that either one of us had ever seen.

I am still all choked up as I type this and had to sit down immediately and give my honest impressions. I would recommend this movie to all here and if you are a serious WWII buff or vet; this should be a must on your list.

The acting was superb and the scenarios depicted were extremely realistic. We both became engrossed immediately and became attached to the characters. The movie begins with the Malmedy Massacre and then back tracks three weeks and covers the lives of 4 Americans and 1 stranded British intelligence officer who was shot down and joins the self-made squad. Their journey that begins behind German lines through horrific weather is tense and heartbreaking. The intelligence officer has information that needs to make it's way to the nearest HQ; information that could save thousands of allied lives.

Just thought I would add this... If you are ONLY into watching bang-bang shoot-em up movies, then you probably won't get into it. Let's face it, a great deal of time spent in the infantry included long bouts of no sleep, waiting and keeping watch. This is ain't Rambo fellows.

Here's some info on the movie. If you visit this site you will also be able to see a trailer to the movie. The site is also beautifully mastered and complete with excellent stills.

http://www.saintsandsoldiers.com/

Marion J Chard

Marions quote: Just thought I would add this..." If you are ONLY into watching bang-bang shoot-em up movies, then you probably won't get into it. Let's face it, a great deal of time spent in the infantry included long bouts of no sleep, waiting and keeping watch. This is ain't Rambo fellows." How true Marion. Few people not there dont seem to realize being in actual combat was such a SMALL part of our life then in actual

hours or days or months. Mostly it was the just being scared, wet, cold, hungry, tired,,

dirty, and wondering what came next.. And when it would end. Decent sleep was mostly out of the question. I recall one night we stopped at a small shelled out village

we just took. I for one crawled into a bed for several hours. Next day I had a "visit"

from the "mechanized dandruff" I had picked up. It was scratch, scratch, scratch till I

got a can of delouseing powder from the medic. This was not unusual.

Too many people have the wrong idea about combat. As you and I stated, there were long bouts of loneliness, cold, hungry, watch and wait... I know folks who have commented that certain movies weren't any good because they had too many lulls. Geez, sorry that reality doesn't hold your attention guys.

I don't know how you guys made it through with so little sleep and food. Man give me a day without little to eat and my blood sugar goes out and whack and I get pretty irritable. Add the no sleep factor and brother watch out. I was telling hubby the other day, "Gee I suck in combat." Then I changed my mind and said,

"Oh hell, put me in the front lines without adequate food and sleep for a couple of days and I think I could take the enemy plattoon out by myself." Shoot, I'd scare myself! :o

Oh well, give me a good reality based movie anyday. I also watch racing and it's just not for the bang-ups. Must be something wrong with me. :lol:

Marion J Chard

Some interesting notes on this theme: Only 1 out of 6 Americans in the military during WWII saw combat. The average combat soldier fired only 6-7 rounds per week. (or was it per month?)

Jim :woof:

This is from Jim Hennessey:

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/DachauScrapb...Massacre04.html

Marion J Chard

I saw this on the history channel a few weeks ago. I liked the movie. It serves as a reminder that all endings aren't happy ones.

Brooke

Saints and Soldiers and one of my numerous movies of war favorite

Véronique

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Massacre of captured US Soldiers Walt's Daughter 0 2,862 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Berga: Soldiers of Another War afc7883 0 2,463 05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Last Post: afc7883