VE-Day - Where were you?

Thank you Roque Riojas I am happy that my pictures pleased you

véronique ;)

May 8th 1944; We were getting ready for the breakthrough at ANZIO. Rocky

I have 2 V-E day issues of Stars and Stripes. One of them was a special supplement about V-E day, with articles about what comes next, explaining about some troops being transferred to the Pacific, etc. I can nearly imagine the joy of V-E Day turning to fear and dread, as these boys contemplated surviving one war...only to roll the dice once more, hoping to survive the unknown dangers awaiting them in the PTO! :armata_PDT_23: Thank God for the A-Bomb and Harry S. Truman! I say that with no apologies.

DD :woof:

The village of Avelin near Lille reconstituted a military camp american and organized

a procession of vehicles of times for the anniversary of May 8 , 1945.

These are the pictures that i took .

I hope that you will like them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/waminvero/Avelin2007

http://picasaweb.google.com/waminvero/Avelin8Mai2007

véronique

I sure enjoyed those too. Thanks a million. I loved everything but especially loved the photos of the motorcycles. You see my dad was injured by a mortar shell when he was riding for HQ acting as a courier.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

May 8th 1944; We were getting ready for the breakthrough at ANZIO. Rocky

Hi Rocky- Did you guys hear any rumors about something like this (German surrender) being a possibility?

Thanks,

Jim

I would like to say a HUGE Thank You today, to Rocky, Russ, Joe, Fred, Al and all other of our ETO Vets on this forum. Thanks to you I'm not speaking German! :armata_PDT_37:

Jim

I would like to say a HUGE Thank You today, to Rocky, Russ, Joe, Fred, Al and all other of our ETO Vets on this forum. Thanks to you I'm not speaking German! :armata_PDT_37:

Jim

YOUR'E ****WELCOME***** Rocky

Hi Rocky- Did you guys hear any rumors about something like this (German surrender) being a possibility?

Thanks,

Jim

I think we heard them cry---UNCLE !! Rocky

I was standing in line today at our small Post Office when an elderly lady in front of me remarked "I wonder why so busy today..not any special day?" I noticed a British accent and I replied "Actually, it is a special day..it's V-E Day." Her next statement was "I can remember exactly where I was on this day in 1945! I was a teenager then, and we had gone to the country for a picnic!" I ended up having quite a pleasant conversation with this delightful 81 year-old British woman, who said she hated to say this but it was a wonderful time for her, being a teenager "and all the Yanks were there and they were so nice!" I reminded her that all of us owe a debt of gratitude to the brave boys/men of the RAF, without who's victory in the battle of Britain there wouldn't have been a V-E Day. She had a very vivid memory of the air raids and also of the sound of those "Doodle-bugs!" referring to the V-1 rockets. I really enjoyed talking with her! :)

DD :woof:

:armata_PDT_37: Thank you Vero for those very great Photos :armata_PDT_37:

This day 67 years back the Germans invaded Luxembourg and the rest of Europe, thanks to you Veterans I had the joy to grow up free and I thank you for that. :rolleyes: