VE-Day - Where were you?

Thank God for the A-Bomb and Harry S. Truman! I say that with no apologies.

DD :woof:

Goddamn you're right Dogdaddy it saved a lot of lives!

Hi all:

We had three separate topics on the same subject, so I took the liberty to merge them under one title. :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I was standing in line today at our small Post Office when an elderly lady in front of me remarked "I wonder why so busy today..not any special day?" I noticed a British accent and I replied "Actually, it is a special day..it's V-E Day." Her next statement was "I can remember exactly where I was on this day in 1945! I was a teenager then, and we had gone to the country for a picnic!" I ended up having quite a pleasant conversation with this delightful 81 year-old British woman, who said she hated to say this but it was a wonderful time for her, being a teenager "and all the Yanks were there and they were so nice!" I reminded her that all of us owe a debt of gratitude to the brave boys/men of the RAF, without who's victory in the battle of Britain there wouldn't have been a V-E Day. She had a very vivid memory of the air raids and also of the sound of those "Doodle-bugs!" referring to the V-1 rockets. I really enjoyed talking with her! :)

DD :woof:

Outstanding. Isn't it refreshing to run into people like that? Must have made your entire day. As far as her comment about feeling guilty for saying how wonderful of a time it was for her, that is par for course. Even though bad things were happening, there was so much excitement for a young person. All the handsome GI's running around and all the momentum. I can understand both sides of the picture, absolutely. I believe, oh heck I know I would have felt just as she did.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Outstanding. Isn't it refreshing to run into people like that? Must have made your entire day. As far as her comment about feeling guilty for saying how wonderful of a time it was for her, that is par for course. Even though bad things were happening, there was so much excitement for a young person. All the handsome GI's running around and all the momentum. I can understand both sides of the picture, absolutely. I believe, oh heck I know I would have felt just as she did.

It really did make my day, and I totally understand her feeling that way too, for in spite of all the bad things going on back then..I often find myself bemoaning the fact that I was born too late to get in on it! ;) That's probably foolish, but it's the honest to God truth.

Dogdaddy :woof: