Japanese uncover fate of POWs

Japanese uncover fate of POWs who died in camps

By Colin Joyce in Yokohama

(Filed: 25/02/2005)

Sixty years after the end of the Second World War, Japanese researchers have compiled a comprehensive database detailing the fate of the 3,526 Allied prisoners of war who died in Japan between 1941 and 1945.

Until now, the information was often incomplete or inaccurate, and efforts to uncover more have been hampered by the destruction of records by the Japanese at the end of the war.

But painstaking research by Japanese volunteers has yielded new details on where the men were held and forced to work and how they died. The database is now on the internet in English.

It enabled Richard Brooker to trace his grandfather, Gunner Wilson Thomas of the Royal Artillery, who served in Java and was held in Tanoura camp, south-western Japan. From north London, he was 32 when he died of beri beri in March 1944.

"The Japanese researchers are brilliant. I spent three years trying to find out about my grandfather with little success," said Mr Brooker, who lives in Warwick. "There is nowhere else in the world that has the information the Japanese researchers have published. I was in tears when I first found my grandfather's details on their website.

"We knew he had died a few days after his best friend in the camp, but only now have we been able to find who that friend was and go on to trace his family.

"My mother was just a toddler when my grandfather went off to war and this has helped her to fill the huge gap in knowledge about her father."

Mr Brooker will visit his grandfather's grave next month with his mother.

More than 30,000 Allied PoWs were made to work in appalling conditions in factories and mines at 130 sites across Japan. About one in 10 died from illness, their bodies weakened by malnutrition and beatings from guards. Some were survivors of the Burma railway. Many died en route to Japan on "hell ships", a journey that could take up to two months under constant threat of attack from Allied submarines and planes.

The database was created by the PoW Research Network Japan, a group of independent researchers who built on the records of the Commonwealth Graves Commission. A breakthrough came with the discovery in the National Diet Library in Tokyo of a forgotten microfiche, almost illegible in places, of records made by the post-war Allied occupation authorities, who had garnered details of the fate of PoWs by questioning camp survivors and former guards.

Yoshiko Tamura, one of the researchers, became interested in the PoWs after she moved near to the Yokohama Commonwealth War Cemetery outside Tokyo, which is where more than 1,000 British servicemen - including Gunner Thomas - are interred.

"I found the cemetery very beautiful. But there were graves of all these men who had died no older than I was then. I knew they must have had girlfriends and wives and I was so saddened I just had to find out what had happened to them," she said.

Taeko Sasamoto, who co-founded the research network, last year, published a book revealing details of the lives of PoWs - the first of its kind in Japanese.

The group helps to organise visits to Japan by former PoWs and relatives, guiding them to the places where the men worked, lived, died and are buried.

"Often relatives are shocked to find out how their loved ones died but there is also great relief that at last they know what happened," said Mrs Sasamoto.

The researchers say their work is also for the Japanese. "Japanese don't know about this tragic history but they should know," said Mrs Sasamoto. "There are people who hate Japan and the Japanese have a responsibility to know why that is.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion, this is a really important story. I wonder that neither the source is referenced, nor is the website address. Have you any clue? I'd really like to learn more about it and maybe cruise through the site. There are thousands of families who have never known one whit of information about how their men died. And absolutely none of those stories will be easy to read. BK

I will see what more I can uncover. Keep watching this spot!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I had a cousin Doctor ,Major Fred Black, made the death march. He later was on ship of prisoners that our Navy sunk, not knowing American;s were on board.

Art

Marion, I've found it.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/pow-j/e/

There are a few stories published around the world abaout this event. The one you posted is from the UK, Telegraph. Here are a couple others. The information is pretty much the same.

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20050225-11...14514-2861r.htm

The Aussies have posted this information about consulting and finding information on the Japanese database. An awful lot of families down under have agitated for this result ever since the end of the war. The US Army led the occupation in Japan and they never could turn up definitive information. It's a very sad enterprise, but one that will be welcomed among these families nonetheless.

http://www.awm.gov.au/research/infosheets/...japan/japan.asp

Damn and doubledamn any philosophy that fosters such cruel inhumanity. There's a special place in hell for their practitioners. BK

I just watched a great movie that was released about 2002. It was about British POWs who helped build the Burma-Thailand railroad (remember movie "The Bridge over River Kwai") The movie was "To End All Wars", staring Keith Sutherland and a British actor. Before the movie started it said 61,000 POWs were used to build that railroad---not sure if that many died, don't think so.

The great part of the movie is the struggle to survive the extreme inhumanity without giving up and dieing. Without giving it away, they resort to philosophy and scriptures to find Hope. Then there is some violate turn of events (its rated R). There is a great message of forgiveness in this movie. It ends with the reunion of one of the British chaps and his captors; one became Dean of the Chapel at Princeton and one a Buddist Monk.

Highly recommended!!

Steve

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Monopoly helped POWs civilwargal 1 3,358 04-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Japanese Anti-Submarine Efforts CaptO 0 2,196 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Japanese government seeks graves at Attu Walt's Daughter 0 2,061 10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Japanese medals 3_7_I_Recon 2 3,756 09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Last Post: chambers