The Great War

There's a great show on the CBC channel right now (cable), about the GREAT WAR.

http://www.cbc.ca/greatwar/

If you ever have the chance to view it, do so. Highly recommended by yours truly. Here's an excerpt:

THE GREAT WAR EXPERIENCE follows the adventures of the 150 descendants who spend two weeks in a WWI military camp during the filming of THE GREAT WAR. Living in period tents, sleeping on the ground, they are trained as soldiers - preparing to relive the battles fought by their ancestors. Director Robin McKenna was an ¨embedded filmmaker¨ in the camp, wearing a uniform, and spending her nights in a tent. Without the constraints of a camera crew, she became ¨one of the soldiers¨, gaining intimate access to situations and emotions as they happened.

THE GREAT WAR EXPERIENCE is about these young Canadians' desire to connect to the experience of their ancestors, and keep their memory alive. In the spirit of their ancestors, they endure the hardships imposed on them — sweating in wool uniforms, eating bully beef and bread, being disciplined by British officers. As they embark on this strange military adventure, they are looking for echoes of a distant past, feeling the presence of ghosts; and connecting to Canadian history in the most personal way - realizing that history belongs to them.

http://www.greatwar.ca/ - The official website

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Will rerun on April 14th and 15th
Marion J Chard

CBC??? I've never heard of it, I must not get it.

Wait a minute... that's my initials.....

Brooke

CBC? I've never heard of it, I must not get it.

Wait a minute... that's my initials.....

:pdt12:

It stands for Canadian Broadcasting System. Living here in Michigan, and growing up in Detroit, we were always exposed to Canadian television because we lived a few minutes from the Canadian border.

When I was little (BEFORE CABLE), we had VHF channels, 2, 4, 7, 9 and 20. 9 being broadcasts from our Canadian brothers, the CBC.

Anyway, they do have it on DVD, and it would be worth having it in your collection someday. It's that good. I learned a lot and it was brilliantly done. Showed these individuals, the descendants, going through boot camp and then the trenches in Europe. The re-enacting really got to them, and the show was filled with lots of tears and emotions running on high.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great War veteran Harry Patch died sixgun 6 10,468 10-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  GREAT WWI SITE civilwargal 8 10,590 01-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Last Post: rennog