Dick Winter's petition - Please Read

Hi my friend:

I too appreciate your honesty and your level-headed thinking. Thank you for stopping in and giving us your opinion. It does mean a lot to me.

My only desire is to respect my vets. It's simple as that. My only wish for Dick Winters is he gets the peace he deserves and the respect from all who admire him. I hope that everyone really works with his true interests in mind, but I've heard too much to convince me otherwise. Since I am not sure of what is going on, I cannot continue to support it.

If Dick Winters wrote me a letter tonight and said, Marion it's okay, then I would back it, but until I see something or hear something a little more substantive than, "Oh ya, Dick has been totally behind this from the beginning", than I will take it as hearsay.

Seems everyone "knows" him and they've claimed he's said everything from A-Z. That is disturbing. I've heard both sides of the story. There isn't. There's only one truth and I am seeking to find it. Until I do, I will lay low and wait.

I don't ever want it said that I'll jump on any bandwagon without doing my homework.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I'm gonna keep a close eye on this matter, i hope that our fears are totally unfounded. :(

Here, here my English friend. That is my hope too. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

To keep you abreast of what is hapening, the Payne petition is supposed to be presented to the President on the 25th on this month. I am waiting to have a conversation directly with Herm Clemens, who is the man that started all this with the permission of the Major back in 2003.

I will tell you exactly what I find out.

Here's the info on the only two Medal of Honor recipients in the 101st during WWII.

------------------

Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole

UNITED STATES ARMY

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Lt. Col. Cole was personally leading his battalion in forcing the last 4 bridges on the road to Carentan when his entire unit was suddenly pinned to the ground by intense and withering enemy rifle, machinegun, mortar, and artillery fire placed upon them from wellprepared and heavily fortified positions within 150 yards of the foremost elements. After the devastating and unceasing enemy fire had for over 1 hour prevented any move and inflicted numerous casualties, Lt. Col. Cole, observing this almost hopeless situation, courageously issued orders to assault the enemy positions with fixed bayonets. With utter disregard for his own safety and completely ignoring the enemy fire, he rose to his feet in front of his battalion and with drawn pistol shouted to his men to follow him in the assault. Catching up a fallen man's rifle and bayonet, he charged on and led the remnants of his battalion across the bulletswept open ground and into the enemy position. His heroic and valiant action in so inspiring his men resulted in the complete establishment of our bridgehead across the Douve River. The cool fearlessness, personal bravery, and outstanding leadership displayed by Lt. Col. Cole reflect great credit upon himself and are worthy of the highest praise in the military service.

Rank and organization: Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Army, 101st Airborne Division. Place and date: Near Carentan, France, 11 June 1944. Entered service at: San Antonio, Tex. Birth: Fort Sam Houston, Tex. G.O. No.: 79, 4 October 1944.

A park at Fort Campbell is named for this division hero.

--------------------------------------

Pfc. Joe E. Mann

UNITED STATES ARMY

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

He distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry above and beyond the call of duty. On 18 September 1944, in the vicinity of Best., Holland, his platoon, attempting to seize the bridge across the Wilhelmina Canal, was surrounded and isolated by an enemy force greatly superior in personnel and firepower. Acting as lead scout, Pfc. Mann boldly crept to within rocket-launcher range of an enemy artillery position and, in the face of heavy enemy fire, destroyed an 88mm. gun and an ammunition dump. Completely disregarding the great danger involved, he remained in his exposed position, and, with his M-1 rifle, killed the enemy one by one until he was wounded 4 times. Taken to a covered position, he insisted on returning to a forward position to stand guard during the night. On the following morning the enemy launched a concerted attack and advanced to within a few yards of the position, throwing hand grenades as they approached. One of these landed within a few feet of Pfc. Mann. Unable to raise his arms, which were bandaged to his body, he yelled "grenade" and threw his body over the grenade, and as it exploded, died. His outstanding gallantry above and beyond the call of duty and his magnificent conduct were an everlasting inspiration to his comrades for whom he gave his life.

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company H, 502d Parachute Infantry, 101st Airborne Division. Place and date: Best, Holland, 18 September 1944. Entered service at: Seattle, Wash. Birth: Rearden, Wash. G.O. No.: 73, 30 August 1945.

A theater at Fort Campbell is named for this division hero.

Marion J Chard

Lt.Col. Cole is buried in Margraten. He will be added to my site in due time. Sorry for that shameless plug! :rolleyes:

Cole.jpg

Oh my gosh it is not a shameless plug. You are doing him great honor! :pdt34: Can't wait to see it.

Marion J Chard

As you know I have been trying to ascertain the intent behind the drive on the CMOH and have been talking with many vets asking them about their opinions on this matter.

I have received many letters from vets (who wish to remain anonymous) stating that there were and are so many men from the 101st who were worthy of the medal. None of them argue with the fact that Dick Winters is a fine upstanding man and Screaming Eagle and his actions were outstanding, but they remind all of us that there are so many men who will never receieve the attention because they were not featured in the Band of Brothers book or videos.

Several also agreed that some of the people behind the recent push have done more harm than good to the cause and that is a real shame. They have told me that they approve of my recent actions and stand behind my decision.

Not that I needed any backup, but after hearing from them, I am glad I stood my ground and held onto my convictions by not wanting to be associated with certain people who are making all kinds of claims in the Major's name.

I am glad that I signed the petition, but do not want to be part of the mass frenzy that seems to be overtaking this venture.

Marion J Chard

Marion, did you recieve an e mail from Barry? i have been reassured about many of my worries. :(

Yes Barry has been writing to me on an almost daily basis and will be posting his findings here and yes it is reassuring regarding the progress in the congress, but that was never my conflict with this entire deal.

My problems arose over the methods used and the claims that were made. I simply do not agree with some of the people who are handling this behind the scenes. I do not want to be associated with the few in question and my fears and concerns over this aspect have not be dispelled but instead confirmed, so I hold fast to what I have stated from the beginning.

I still continue to wish the Major the best as do all his close friends and allies.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  30th Infantry Division petition Frank Gubbels 9 9,938 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  From the Dick Winters site Walt's Daughter 11 10,144 02-03-2006, 04:16 PM
  Winter in the Ardennes Walt's Daughter 1 64,325 07-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf
  Dick Winter's medal? Walt's Daughter 10 82,439 06-02-2005, 10:28 PM
  The Longest Winter Walt's Daughter 1 89,416 03-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Cadetat6
  Great Photo of Major Dick Winters Walt's Daughter 0 66,053 01-14-2005, 09:06 PM