Dick Winter's petition - Please Read

Marion, as you know from the PM I have sent you, I regret not being able to post anything here as Hotmail, my e-mail host, is shot to hell at the moment, and I cannot get at anything.

I have another message from our friend, plus some other interesting information, but that will have to go on the MDW site first, and here about 3 minutes later :rolleyes:

Regards to all

Barry Poulter

www.majordickwinters.com

Well this is the very latest as at 2nd March 2005

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...41&position=all

Read under Memorials on the bottom left of the page

This is the start folks.

Barry Poulter

www.majordickwinters.com

Marion,

First, thanks for this wonderful site and the great things you do to remember our veterans. It is an important task that too few undertake.

Second, I've stated pretty much the same regarding the CMOH upgrade for the Major. It was a hard pill to swallow but I see my father, who is soon to be 89, and understand that the only thing he really cares about now is being around his family, his grandchildren, getting out of bed with a little less pain than the day before and enjoying the simple things in life. This is what I wish for the Major, his simple pleasures and the peace & privacy he has longed for these many years. He deserves nothing less, as do all our veterans.

I, as you, still wish for this to happen but no longer support the effort as I once did. There is a certain point in life when you realize that it is time to let something go, I have come to that point with this.

Thanks again for this wonderful site Marion, keep up the good work.

Ron

Ron:

First off, thanks for becoming a member of our site. It is an absolute pleasure to have you amongst our ranks.

Surprisingly, there are many more in "our court" than not. Several more people told me this week that they didn't want to say anything for fear of repercussion, although they had been feeling the same way for quite some time.

Right now they are bouncing it back to the army again and playing the famous ping-pong game. Sigh!

I totally agree with your assessment that most folks don't realize what is important in life; the simple things. These men want to live a peaceful existence. We should let them have their wish. Maybe those who are taking things into their own hands should go back and watch a certain BOB episode, then remember what the Major said back in France after he lived through the first day in Normandy.

Thanks for the compliments and I hope you will come around often.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I have just lifted this from the 506th Currahee site, and I thought you all might like to read this.

Upgrading of Major® Richard Winters DSC to the Congressional Medal of Honor - The Battle Cry, CURRAHEE! Has Been Sounded:

As reported previously, Association Members in 2002 voted unanimously to support an effort to upgrade the Major's DSC to the CMH, our nation's highest award for valor. Update Info: on November 18, 2004, then Acting Secretary of the Army R. Lee Brownlee issued a letter the Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum in which he stated "After careful consideration of all the input, my review concludes that Major (Ret.) Winters earned the correct award for his valor. There is no evidence of material error or impropriety in the original processing of Major (Ret.) Winters' award. It is my determination that the previously approved award of the Distinguished Service Cross remains the appropriate award to recognize the heroic acts of Major (Ret.) Winters.

This Currahee along with many others totally disagree. So the Battle continues; an effort is being mounted for the introduction of a Congressional Bill that if passed would only require the President's signature for the upgrading of Major Winters award to the CMH. So we encourage all to contact their Congressmen and also to submit an entry to the online petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/Winters/petition.html.

While this petition is addressed and going to the current Secretary of the Army, Francis J. Harvey, it is being monitored by Pennsylvania Congressman Curt Weldon, who is working on the bill.

Currahee! Airborne - Airmobile - Air Assault

Gene Overton [C 1st Bn - 1967 / 1968]

Cofounder / President

3/4/05 Letter Writing

I have 2 comments to make about this, firsty, I feel that it was wrong on the part of the Secretary's office to write to Senator Santorum before they wrote to the major.

Secondly, there is now new facts that have come to light which may well change the view of the army.

Whilst I agree with all the sentiments stated here about letting the Major have his peace, and to be left alone, I hope that nothing I or fellow members at Major Dick Winters.com have done will upset his peace. I know we will never embarasse him or his family. In closing, kindly remember that all of this, the campaign for the upgrade was started by his men, not us, started by the people that really know what happened, they were there.

Barry Poulter

Admin www.majordickwinters.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  30th Infantry Division petition Frank Gubbels 9 9,911 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  From the Dick Winters site Walt's Daughter 11 10,088 02-03-2006, 04:16 PM
  Winter in the Ardennes Walt's Daughter 1 64,310 07-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf
  Dick Winter's medal? Walt's Daughter 10 82,404 06-02-2005, 10:28 PM
  The Longest Winter Walt's Daughter 1 89,409 03-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Cadetat6
  Great Photo of Major Dick Winters Walt's Daughter 0 66,047 01-14-2005, 09:06 PM