CIB's being awarded to com engs

Well I think the Army may be reflecting the low values of our public school system in this day and age. Why not give everybody a passing grade and tell them they're all great? What do you think that attitude breeds?

I had a mom come in my store last year after school got out. She went to the awards ceremony and said, "You know, I think that they should stop these ceremonies. The same kids get the awards all the time and it's really hard on the others."

Oh my God. I wanted to throw up. No let's do away with awards for people who show talent and skill and want to better themeselves. Let's make everyone the same and tell all these kids that why bother trying. Let's encourage complacency and lie to them. Guess what happens when these kids get out in the real world? They find reality, they hate it, they make lousy workers and bitter people.

Aren't we already seeing this? These people get out in reality and think that life should be FAIR. They want pats on the back when they do nothing and they do nothing. They can't deal with life and relationships and if the next guy gets something, they want it to. They enter the workforce and get fired and wind up quitting. They can't hack it because in school they got an A when they didn't deserve it.

You know I want to ask people like the lady who wanted to dispense with awards, how would you feel if you worked your butt off at work, put in overtime, never missed a day, were an exemplary employee, got a big raise, then found out that the raise you got and worked so hard for was also given to your co-worker who takes 15 cigarette breaks a day, is always late and has missed four days in the last 6 weeks. Come on lady, how would you feel? Would that be FAIR?

Yes, your right, these kind of things occuring cheapen the worth of life and it's trials and tribulations. The CIB, like other things in life has value and meaning and shouldn't be cheapened. It's stands for something and should remain that way. Let's keep our values. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Well said Marion!

Down with mediocraty!!!

3_7_I_INF - Russ Cloer

Yes, unlike in Amadeus the movie when Antonio Salieri uttered, "bless you all mediciocrity!"

Marion J Chard

Combat Infantry Badge

I was browsing other headings on this site and found a letter under "VI Corp Combat Engineers" signed by the "Chief, Military Award Board" regarding eligibility for the CIB. I recommend that those who have posted on the CIB site read this letter. It appears to be an old reply to a Congressman who was trying to get a CIB for a non-infantry vet. I seems pertinent to me and I see no good reason to broaden the eligibility 60 years after it was defined.

3_7_I_INF - Russ Cloer

Seems like a lot of people dont realize that the CIB was awarded to Infantrymen who

CONTINUALLY served in combat conditions. Not for others that OCCASIONALLY SERVED

in Infantry combat conditions of fighting and existing. One BIG difference of a once in

a while fight and continual fighting in these conditions. So give them the "combat Patch"

as now done, not a CIB. But please, why the grenade and bayonet on the patch when

most of these people never saw (or used) a grenade or bayonet in use. And probably

never carried either or used them in combat. Our usual "day to day" tasks were not

like a "occaisional" conflict. But what was expected of us as "normal" duty. One BIG

DIFFERENCE. and why did the Infantry have two thirds of the casualties in ww 2 and

being a small percentage of troops. Something like under 10 percent were Infantry.

Give 'em hell Joe. They will never understand. Because they "haven't been there".

It makes me sick to hear about "cheapening the CIB" after what we went through to earn it.

But I guess we old timers are not up to speed on current thinking. My "take" is that our country has become the world's police. And our soldiers are dying to make a democracy for people who want no part of it. This means more emphasis on recruiting. The possibility of one day being able to wear the CIB is an attractive tool. It helps enlistments. Why is it attractive? Because of what we had to go through to earn it!

3_7_I_Recon

I just cant figure why so many non-infantrymen want the C.I.B.. It was quite easy to get. Just ask for a transfer to the Infantry and go into combat continually. Your only job is just to take ground and keep ground day in and day out. Nothing else. Also living

under conditions continually no one else wants. Not to mention, having two thirds of

all casualties in ww 2. Just maybe , thats why it is for INFANTRYMEN that did this type

of work as a STEADY DIET, day in day out. Not as a occasional thing for a short period

of time. In doubt?? Check casualty reports as a whole.. The Regs. were simple. You

had to be Infantry to start with.

3-7-1 Recon and my combat buddy j3rdinf, I will add my two cents worth.

You both are absolutely RIGHT. I think the C.I.B. has lost a lot of its

meaning. I got mine in '43 and after over 600 days combat with other medals

I cherish my C.I.B. as my most prized possesion. How about you Joe and

371 Recon? Of course we are from another era. Guys keep 'em straight.

This 83 yr. old+ said it. Roque J. Riojas Adios Amigos!!!!

This is very, very important. As you know I have been painstakingly going through over 2000 pages of documents from the National Archives regarding my father's unit, the 540th Combat Engineers. Today I have spent another 4 hours continuing the process of sorting and filing by month and year during the war.

Within the last hour I uncovered something that caught my eye and I think it will be very good news for those combat engineers WHO WERE ELIGIBLE and who WERE SUPPOSED TO BE AWARDED THE CIB!

As many of you know, it has been argued that combat engineers were not supposed to be eligible to receive the CIB, even though many of them did including my father. If a combat engineer fought as infantryman as many of they certainly did, then they should have been awarded one.

Well I found PROOF that they were issued to combat engineers who were met the criteria, and am presenting that proof to everyone today.

I have already contacted Captain John Fallon of the 36th Engineers, who by the way, did get one, and informed him of the good news. Many of the men who fought alongside him as infantrymen did not get it, while he did. We plan send this info to Washington as proof and to continue fighting for the cause.

I am very excited that I stumbled upon this discovery today and can't wait to share it with others. After all they can't dispute THEIR OWN ORDERS! :pdt34::pdt34::pdt34:

08-07-08 Please see updated link for this post. The other one became inoperable

CIBsAwarded540thOct44.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   CIBsAwarded540thOct44.pdf (Size: 1.48 MB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

:pdt34: Way to go Marion!!!!

I had just promised my new good friend Joe Medina to not give up this fight!!!I cant wait to tell him. I just made copies to forward to him and will be sending copies to my congressman. :drinkin:

Chris

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Col Carl F Baswell awarded 2011 Gold deFleury Medal Walt's Daughter 3 5,006 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  36th Engs - Fort Bragg 1942 Yearbook Walt's Daughter 4 7,249 06-23-2010, 07:12 AM
  Bob Feland & Cliff Duncan - 540th Combat Engs Walt's Daughter 2 4,431 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM
  HQ 2832 Engs (540th) Rhine River Crossing Walt's Daughter 1 3,333 04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf