Roy Allen and his B-17 crewman

Still have tears in my eyes after watching the History Channel's program on Roy Allen. I'm sure they will show it again. If they do you gotta watch it. Very moving. :unsure:

On June 14, 1944, pilot Roy Allen and the 10-man crew of his B-17 embarked on a mission over Nazi-occupied France that was supposed to be a milk run. Instead, it proved more dangerous than anything they ever imagined. Blasted by flak, Roy was forced to parachute into France. Trapped behind enemy lines, a 21-year-old schoolteacher-- French Resistance patriot Colette Florin--saved his life. On his way back to England, a traitor within the Resistance betrayed Roy. Captured by the Gestapo, tortured, imprisoned, and labeled a terrorist by the Nazis, he became one of 168 Allied airmen transported across Europe on a nightmare rail journey to Buchenwald Concentration Camp. In the heart of the Nazi empire, the only thing that kept them alive was each other. It's a human story of courage and loss, determination and sacrifice by ordinary people whose lives were profoundly altered by war.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I've seen it several times, and I too am very moved by this story. The French Resistance paid a high price for helping downed flyers like Roy. Today (Veteran's Day) I guess we should think about ALL who played a part in the liberation of Europe and the Pacific Islands during WWII, as well as people today who do whatever they can in the name of Freedom & Liberty. :pdt34::pdt34::pdt34: (I'm all thumbs today!)

Jim :woof: