"feminizing" today's military

Received an email yesterday from Tom Ricks, the military correspondent for the Washington Post, regarding an article we have on our site regarding Ernie Pyle. Seems the article I posted has some paragraphs missing for some reason. I don't remember where I obtained the article, but asked Tom if he could provide me with a full-fledged version. He stated, "I only noticed this because it is my favorite

article by him."

Thank you Tom for bringing this to my attention. I always wondered why the third paragraph didn't seem to flow. :lol::wacko:

Anyway, I decided to find out more about Tom and began reading a section called, "Tom Rick's Inbox". I'd like to share the following article regarding "feminizing" today's military.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6110301454.html

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion: Not one of the males here have answered. We dont really want to start another war. But in all reality, so she is qualified as a jumpmaster will she ever being used to jump into combat (against regulations). Seems to me like a real waste of money and training which could be used for males going into combat. It does make wonderfull press for the womens lib though and advancing in rank for her. But will her training ever be truely used in combat? Or is it a waste of time and money? Yes, even in WW 2 we had women in the Military. But not as front line troops. Yes, we "lost" a few of them but not usually due to front line duty combat usually. I realize I will probably get "put down" by some posters but after 3 days and no replies just maybe it will start up some posts. Both pro and con. I hope I didnt ruffle too many feathers.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you said Joe. I guess I have mixed feelings about women in the military too. I don't think it's a bash against women, hell I am one, but all in all, most women just can't complete or be equals with men. We aren't built the same. It's a physical reality.

I didn't post it here to begin arguments with people and I hope it won't come to that. I just thought it was an interesting article, all in all. I don't always expect answers to all my posts. Most people just like to read and I always try to have a real cross of topics and ideas.

Thanks for posting my friend.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I'll take a stab at this one...

I think if they can hang, let them. If they have been tested and are capable what's the harm?

But having had this discussion with a close friend who is a combat veteran of the Gulf War, his stand is ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Brooke

Marion: Not one of the males here have answered. We dont really want to start another war. But in all reality, so she is qualified as a jumpmaster will she ever being used to jump into combat (against regulations). Seems to me like a real waste of money and training which could be used for males going into combat. It does make wonderfull press for the womens lib though and advancing in rank for her. But will her training ever be truely used in combat? Or is it a waste of time and money? Yes, even in WW 2 we had women in the Military. But not as front line troops. Yes, we "lost" a few of them but not usually due to front line duty combat usually. I realize I will probably get "put down" by some posters but after 3 days and no replies just maybe it will start up some posts. Both pro and con. I hope I didnt ruffle too many feathers.

I am with your way of thinking Joe {3rdinf.)), There are a lot of things to consider of course I am refering to combat. not to single to single any woman, I'll say female, she would have to be an amazon to be able to carry a field pack,web belt with ammo and canteen water, weapon,helmet,and now a flak jacket and that would have to be xtra large acc her boobs.{heavier jacket). Whatwould she do if she came face to face with the enemy,. Lot of things come into play. NOW as a nurse in a forward MASH she would be an ANGEL!!!! So Joe I gotta agree with you. Roque

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military History? Walt's Daughter 2 6,538 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Boston Globe "Editorial" defames our military arve 0 2,705 09-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Last Post: arve
  How D-Day would be reported by today's Press James Pickering 2 111,798 08-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Military Prayer for ALL the troops Walt's Daughter 0 2,516 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Military: Missing soldiers found dead Walt's Daughter 0 2,419 06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
  Seabees today Walt's Daughter 0 2,149 05-19-2006, 03:29 PM
  Today's 36th Walt's Daughter 0 2,037 03-29-2006, 10:17 AM
  MILITARY RULES for NON-MILITARY Walt's Daughter 0 2,676 03-24-2006, 08:52 PM
  from today's 36th Combat Engineers Walt's Daughter 1 6,247 09-21-2005, 12:12 PM