A Generation's Moment

A column written by the editor of America in WWII. Thought some of you would love the nostaglia. :wub::wub:

http://www.americainwwii.com/stories/agene...tionsmoment.htm

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I think that's one I need to subscribe to. Great article Marion. It makes me feel sorry for kids today..For one thing, they are not allowed to be children. For another, there are not alot of role models for them to look up to, but many negative behaviors are touted in the music they are bombarded with (like RAP) on every TV commercials, and professional athletes who are greedy and self-centered. I feel so lucky to have been raised by WWII generation parents who instilled in me a very strong sense of what's right and what's wrong . Ah, Nostalgia... :rolleyes: Somebody please invent a time machine! :D

Jim :woof:

Jim, I don't agree about the childhood thing. Both my grandparents quit school very young to go to work. They did not have a childhood. My grandma left in the 6th grade and my grandpa the 8th. But of course by that time neither one of them were strangers to hard work. I think kids today are allowed to be children way too long and when they finally do enter the "real" world they enter it ill prepared.

Brooke

That's okay if you don't agree Brooke. I'm sure your opinions are based on your own experience, as are mine. My Dad didn't finish highschool because he enlisted in the Navy in 1944, at the age of 17. He made sure that we didn't have to do that. ;)

My granma always said that she didn't get to finish school and she really wanted to go, but she was dirt poor and only had 2 dresses to her name and was so ashamed and when she became old enough, she dropped out. She went to work for people in the neighborhood doing whatever they needed. Carrying water, I think she said she got .25 for each bucket.

From my "spolied" brat perspective I just didn't understand. I hated school and thought she was lucky because she didn't have to go. Boy what little did I understand... ;)

My grandpa went to work full time for the railroad when he was 13 and like your dad, joined the service when he was 17. When I was 13 I was teasing my hair, talking on the phone 24/7 and chasing boys. I think I made my bed about once a month and that was when mom forced me to change my sheets. :wacko:

Sometimes I think I missed something by growing up in the age of conveninece, but my mom :heartpump: allowed me to enjoy my childhood as long as I could. She always told me that once it's gone, it's gone.

You are correct that there are not alot of positive role models out there and unfortuneatly the parents are number one. Don't get me wrong my family is chocked full of disfunction, but I always had someone chewing my ass when I would veer over onto the wrong path.

Brooke

Brooke,

Your Mom was right about childhood. ;) By today's standards everybody has a Dysfunctional family, thanks to Dr. Phil. :lol: In a 1950's childhood, we were only told that Uncle Bob was "A Juicer" and Cousin Jackie was "A Fairy"... :lol: I don't know anybody that grew up with Ward and June Cleaver at the helm, including Me, but life was much easier to understand back then, and childhood was pretty carefree...Our first house cost $3000.00. :o Be it ever so humble...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greatest Generation: WWII Veterans Set Sail To Share Stories With The World lsedels 0 1,899 07-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Last Post: lsedels
  GREATEST GENERATION Cadetat6 5 5,125 12-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  SECOND GENERATION Cadetat6 1 3,049 09-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Passing of a Generation James Pickering 2 67,006 05-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Cadetat6