Be Careful What You Say

Rogue here's a WW II story(yeah I know it's Navy)but thought you might get a laugh of a Wise ARZ Officer being put in his place.

Be Careful What You Say and to Whom You Say It!!

Many of you know that one of my brothers was a Navy Lifer so I'm taking the liberty of telling one of his "War Stories".

He was in the Charlestown,MA Navy Yard waiting for this particular ship to be built and as a Chief Petty Officer he would have to,from time to time,go to the Navy Receiving Station to pick up new crew members and this included new Officers as well.

The X.O. thought himself to be quite a comedian so he always had something to say to or about the Newbies as they came aboard. Many times my brother said you could see the anger in the Newbies eyes but they were afraid to respond because the man was the No. 2 man in the Command structure of the ship. Some of the crew like my brother had more time at sea the this man did in the Navy.

This one day my brother was sent to pick up three new Ensigns(2nd Lts. to us) and when he returned to the ship the X.O. told him to stand by to show these Newbies to their quarters so they wouldn't get lost they were so dumb even though two were Naval Academy Graduates.

When he got to the last man who was obviously doing a slow burn the X.O. said "My God kid(remember this word) welcome aboard and I expect great things from you. Do you know there is an Admiral in Washington in the Command Structure that has the same last name as you??".

"Yes Sir replied the Ensign and I'll be talking to him tonight to let him know that I was met and welcomed aboard by the Chief and you the X.O.".

Silence followed until the Ensign said "That Admiral - Admiral Kidd you are speaking about is my father X.O"!!!!!!!

From that day on my brother was the one man welcoming committee to all Newbies!!!!!

Sgtleo (always careful)

No KIDDing! :pdt12: That was a cute story!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"