373rd Engineers

Saw this entry in a newsletter I receive. It was posted in the Normandy Allies AMITIE - Spring 2010 Volume 1

Well I wrote to her in care of the Normandy Allies, and received an email back, stating they would put me in touch. A couple of minutes ago, received this email:

If anyone would like to get in touch with him, please let me know and I will put you in touch. As you know, I do not like to post email addresses on the web. That only leads to trouble.

:armata_PDT_37:

Hi !,

I am not quite sure how this Quote/reply works - but here goes ....

First, the introduction - I am a member of a small group from Barry (South Wales), Great Britain who are interested in the activities of American forces stationed on the outskirts of the town as part of pre D-Day "Operation Bolero". There was a sizeable camp located by the town, known by the code name "G-40". We do not have a great deal of knowledge on who built it, who staffed it and what went on there (Transpiration we believe) as, under war time conditions, too many enquiries at the time may have given the wrong impression !. We have recently opened a website covering our intentions at http://barryhistory.co.uk/ - please take a look.

What drew me to your site was the words "373rd Engineer General Service Regiment" in the correspondence as I am led to understand that the 373rd were the construction engineers for the G-40 site. I have tried to obtain more information on this document as it may mention the work down in Barry (maybe called Sully in the book) by the 373rd. Hopefully explaining the when and who !.

Although it is 66 years since the "GIs" left Barry, they didn't leave altogether empty handed - taking a fair number of "GI Brides" with them (please see the site) - my Aunt amongst them. The "Friends" are considering the possibility of erecting a memorial to the US Forces that were at G-40, subject to local authority approval - but need to collate more background so that the "modest" memorial, if we are successful, will represent ALL units that were stationed there.

Any information, where to go looking, who to speak to etc would be most welcome. Confidentially will be observed where necessary.

Regards to all from "this side of the pond". Terry

Dear Terry:

So nice to have you here. I'm glad you joined and I hope we can shed more light on your history project. :armata_PDT_37:

I am looking at your site right now and am very impressed. I will post your link on our main site this weekend. Happy to give you some more exposure.

We have a few British members too, so I'm sure they will love to jump in too.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Welcome Terry to the 'UK branch' of this great website. I have been here with Marion for around six years (I left and rejoined) and I've made some great friends across the pond.

I looked up our 'bible' in reference to the 373rd, but no mention of what they did in the UK, only later under the command of Col Frank F. Bell around Le Havre, Rouen and Brest where they undertook limited rehabilitation of these towns.

In 1942 BOLERO was the plan that set the US Engineer Machine in motion to deal with the arrival of our allies from across the Atlantic. The 373rd would have been in at the start, constructing one of the many supply and transportation depots built across Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Shown on the map as Cardiff, Barry was obviously the exact location.

Please keep us posted on your progress, especially about the memorial.

Colin.

Welcome Terry to the 'UK branch' of this great website. I have been here with Marion for around six years (I left and rejoined) and I've made some great friends across the pond.

I looked up our 'bible' in reference to the 373rd, but no mention of what they did in the UK, only later under the command of Col Frank F. Bell around Le Havre, Rouen and Brest where they undertook limited rehabilitation of these towns.

In 1942 BOLERO was the plan that set the US Engineer Machine in motion to deal with the arrival of our allies from across the Atlantic. The 373rd would have been in at the start, constructing one of the many supply and transportation depots built across Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Shown on the map as Cardiff, Barry was obviously the exact location.

Please keep us posted on your progress, especially about the memorial.

Colin.

Most interested to know that there is a "UK Branch". What started me on this link was a reference book - "The 373rd General Service Regiment", Historical Records Section, Adjutant Generals Office, Washington DC - I am told that it contains a chapter on the 373rd's work in constructing the G-40 Camp at Barry (near Cardiff) in 1943 - I was shown some photographs scanned from this book which supports that premise. I would dearly like to find a contact who knows where a copy of the document is archived so I can request extracts. I guess that I am not the first person to tread this trail - so any thoughts ?.

Hi Terry, welcome to the forum.

A book, The Safekeepers: Memoir of the Arts at the End of World War II by former Capt. Walter I. Farmer has a brief account in Chapter Two, pages 17 & 18 of the 373rd GS Reg. from when they arrived in England and where they were.

"In mid-January, `44, one of the two battalions of the 373rd went to Sully Camp on the Bristol Channel east of Barry, Wales, where the troops would construct a shipping depot. they built open storage facilities, railroads, access roads, and a winter tented camp for 250."

The book is still in copyright but you might find it in a local library

Google Books has a preview of the book you can read:

http://books.google.com/books?id=kcPL-nDoowQC&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=373rd+Engineer+General+Service+Regiment,+Barry,&source=bl&ots=ukQZQc1mQd&sig=SVQcNuARsnOAxr7M1J4qsJJ4X5I&hl=en&ei=fwn3TNIVhPuXB-qyqOEF&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=373rd%20Engineer%20General%20Service%20Regiment%2C%20Barry%2C&f=false

The Safekeepers: Memoir of the Arts at the End of World War II by former Capt. Walter I. Farmer of the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II, chronicles the recovery of and restitution of discovered hidden loot of the Nazi plunder, that were stolen from museums, private collections and libraries and individual Jewish emigrants and death camp prisoners.

Thanks for the lead - I am chasing this up, but its not a common title !.

I have also submitted a request to USAMHI Research Centre (December 2010) for photocopies of any relevant pages from the work "The 373rd Engineer General Service Regiment in World War II", which is listed as being in their collection. I am told that there is a piece on building of G-40 with photographs (but whether the photographs relate to G-40 (Sully) remains to be seen - if I am lucky that is). If anyone has a lead - or better still a copy - of this work, perhaps they could get in touch so that I can confirm my presumption.

Much of the land occupied by G-40 and its associated tented camp remains undeveloped, and any buildings that may have existed have been removed. A group of us in Barry intend to have a "poke around" this Summer, if we can get permission.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who has any connection to G-40 as I am trying to put a history together as there is no recognition of the presence that the American Armed Forces made to the town between 1942 and 1944 - although a fair number of Barry "girls" became "GI brides" - my Aunt being one of that number.

Attached is the Barry Depot section of the official history of the 373rd.

My father, PFC Roger J. Patzer, was in the thiord platoon of 'D' Company; he served with the 373rd from Camp Claiborne until 3/1/45.

Sorry, not seeing any attachments...

----------

A few days later...

He couldn't upload as attachment, for the document exceeded the maximum. So, he sent the doc to me via email and I uploaded it to the server. Here's the link:

Barry Street doc

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

That was great - many thanks indeed for the extract !.

Later this year (Summer 2011) I will try and take some "then and now" comparison shots, although most of the locations shown in the photographs (quality not too good) have been redeveloped or obscured by vegitation. The tented camp site is now a field and so a comparison shot should be possible. I understand that there were a number of similar "G" sites created in Great Britain during 1943 and would imagine that the construction drawings for buildings should be pretty much standard. It may be a while before I can update you on progress, but be assured that I will give you feedback.

Regards and thanks. Terry