Letter and more from a 39th'er

Letter from Paul and Alice

Received this letter from 39th'er and his wife Alice. What a nice surprise this was. I was given Paul's name from an associate earlier in January and I took a chance and wrote a letter. Within 2 weeks I got this and it was filled with other articles too.

I was beginning to think that I wasn't going to be able to find too many of 39th Combat Engineers (to date I've only been in contact with one, John Wack) and wasn't real hopeful. Ah, I should have known better than that. We're on the upswing again. Yeah! :D:D

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion,

I have just read with interest the letter from Alice Knudson. As you know my research into the US 7th Army in Sicily 1943 (Husky) continues. The 39th served in Sicily and you mentioned John Wack, did he serve there? Also would Alice be a contact who could help in my quest?

I find it difficult to place the various outfits that took part in Husky. D'Este's "Bitter Victory" lists the following:

1st Engineer Combat Battalion.

1st Battalion, 39th Combat Engineers.

1 Battalion, 531st Engineer Shore Regiment.

120th Engineer Combat Battalion.

10th Engineer Battalion.

36th Combat Engineer Regiment.

Survey Platoon, Coy B, 66th Engineer Battalion (Topo) ??

17th Armoured Engineer Battalion.

540th Engineer Shore Regiment.

18th Infantry Regiment (1st Division) 1 Engineer company.

Seeing the above you may understand how a "limey" might find it hard to see how each fitted in to the operation.

By the way in Daniel D Dancock's "The D-Day Dodgers", in the photographs after page 308, is a photo of a bulldozer driver wearing a top-hat. A Canadian engineer though. Perhaps wearing a top-hat signified a special qualification!!!

Colin.

:tank:

Colin:

I can put you in contact with the Paul and Alice. I am going to call them hopefully this weekend and ask if it's okay to send the address, etc. your way.

Excuse if I've already asked this, but do you have this book?

The Corps of Engineers - The War Against Germany - Authors: Alfred M. Beck; Abe Bortz; Charles W. Lynch; Lidia Mayo; And Ralph F. Weld - Publisher: Department of the Army - The book describes in detail the role of the Army Corps Engineers in various campaigns, from North Africa, Italy, as well as Central and Western Europe, from 1941-1944. Includes photos, maps...

It covers engineer units through all the battles and campaigns in the ETO. I've gotten a lot of my info from it. For me it's indispensable!

B)

Marion J Chard

Thanks Marion, I'm in the process of ordering the book from a bookseller in Portland, Oregan.

Colin

Good morning:

I just woke up about 5 minutes ago. YAWN!!

Excellent. You won't regret it. It's one of my best sources now. Some great photos too Colin. Please let me know when it arrives and what your initial assessment is.

:)

Marion J Chard

Marion,

The book "Corps of Engineers : The War Against Germany" arrived from Portland today. I'm lucky, it is a very clean copy and my first impression is it will assist me a great deal. There are some very good photos and the section on Sicily looks impressive - the "bridge in the sky" again. In just over three months I will be passing Cape Calava and travelling the northern coast. I'm only sorry that so far I have not made contact with any Husky veterans.

Thank you for the lead.

Colin.

Colin:

More good news for you today. Alice Knudson said that you can contact her to get more info on the 39th. She can also put you in contact with others. I will send you a private email and give you all the information that you requested.

Hey guess what? I just received a complete history of the 39th about 5 minutes ago. Isn't that great? I am very excited. Things are falling into place.

I thought you would love the book. It is a real treasure for anyone like us who has an avid interest in the Corps and WWII. Good reading! :coffee:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Original letter from a 540th reunion - 1948 Walt's Daughter 0 1,864 02-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  info regarding captured German Sabre - 39th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 3 4,322 04-22-2015, 12:39 PM
  Jesse James - 39th Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,084 09-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  39th Eng - June 2012 Newsletter Walt's Daughter 0 2,008 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM
  39th Engineer Alumni Newsletter Jan 2012 Walt's Daughter 0 1,884 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM
  Letter sent home from Anzio - Sgt Joe Miller - 36th Eng Walt's Daughter 4 4,581 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM
  Honorary Member - 39th Eng Bn Walt's Daughter 3 3,775 03-08-2011, 12:43 PM
  An uplifting letter from an engineer Walt's Daughter 2 3,759 11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Last Post: twobisquit
  A Fathers Day Letter - June 1943 Walt's Daughter 0 2,403 06-29-2009, 07:13 AM
  A letter from Dan Manning Walt's Daughter 0 2,256 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM