Cassino, Italy

I really don't care about the monastery controversy anymore than I do about other "controversial" decisions that were made . The question I am posing in this thread is: (Basically)" Did the bad feelings between the big Mucky-Mucks cause the ordinary GI's and the Tommies to become critical of each other's fighting abilities? :) " I'm sure Rocky probably can weigh in on this...

Jim

PS- HAVE A GREAT TIME AT THE REUNION MR. PRESIDENT :pdt34:

I agree. Many of the British books do seem to ignore the American contribution. I've only read one good British book that was fair to both sides. That is why I was impressed that a British author would actually have something good to say about the American 34th Division. I haven't even read Majdalany's book, so I was not exactly recommending it.

I really don't care about the monastery controversy anymore than I do about other "controversial" decisions that were made . The question I am posing in this thread is: (Basically)" Did the bad feelings between the big Mucky-Mucks cause the ordinary GI's and the Tommies to become critical of each other's fighting abilities? :) " I'm sure Rocky probably can weigh in on this...

Jim

PS- HAVE A GREAT TIME AT THE REUNION MR. PRESIDENT :pdt34:

I have said enuf on the above thread. You were either there or you,(anyone), read a book about it. As far as the Limmies, the 34th went right up the middlle in Italy so we never saw any of them, but we heard they were cocky as hell.

So I stand by what I wrote cause I wuz there. My fervent wish is to try and go one time to Italy and visit the cementaries where my buddies are and give them a farewell salute. So I would suggest that WE ALL drop the Cassino subject and lets get on with other subjects. Our only concern was staying alive and by the grace of GOD I made it.

Yes I was elected unnamously for President of the 34th Divn. Assoc. 2006-2007.

For me it was an honor,being the first Mexican American to hold that position.

Marion I hope Ellen Ankrum e-mails' you soon.

I WAS THERE WITH YOU ROQUE,AND YOU ARE RIGHT ON .

WATSON JONES

Rocky post all you info on the reunion in the Reunion section of the forum under the 34th Reunion title which is there. Can't wait to read more.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I WAS THERE WITH YOU ROQUE,AND YOU ARE RIGHT ON .

WATSON JONES

Thanks one hell of a lot W. J. Now two RED BULLS have spoken.

Roque. Hey Watson, I met Emerson Slager at the reunion, imagen, after more than 60 years!!!! We talkedabout you and Roig and remember Top Sarge.

Bud Brewer? Sgt. Jim Mc Cue and of course Platoon Sgt. Ed La Pointe. Later Watson. Rocky

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/3544047.stm

Good pages about Cassino guys

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/3544047.stm

http://www.battleofmontecassino.com/Index.htm

http://www.eagle19.freeserve.co.uk/cassino.htm

Links provided by James Hennessey of the 87th Inf Div. He has provided us with literally dozens upon dozens of WWII sites. :pdt34::pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  387th Engineer Battalion in Italy FSavage 3 3,309 04-03-2022, 05:47 PM
Last Post: FSavage
  WWII veteran recalls fighting at Cassino, Anzio Walt's Daughter 2 5,005 06-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Photo of 34th Monument - Italy - 2010 Walt's Daughter 0 3,349 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
  Found!!!! Picture of my Father in Italy `44 Wendy 5 7,244 06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  This Day in History - Italy March 12, 1944 Walt's Daughter 3 6,194 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
  Vet recalls intense fighting in Italy Walt's Daughter 56 50,639 05-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Last Post: WATSON
  The 88th in Italy Walt's Daughter 1 3,906 04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Custermen