Remembering 9-11

As the date nears once again, I am receiving more email regarding that fateful day 5 years ago.

If you care to share any links or thoughts that touch your heart, please list them below.

I took time to watch Flight 93 last night, and of course broke down in tears. As my husband stated to a friend yesterday, "It was heavy!"

I didn't know if I wanted to watch it, but I had to. It was gripping, terrifying, touching, and reconfirmed why we as Americans should stick together.

As many of you know, we was flying that morning and our flight was brought down by the FAA. That plane could very well have been ours. It stills shakes me up to think of that morning.

It was a perfect day, a beautiful sunny day, and you think, how could anything go wrong? Surrounded by friends and happy as could be then... and then...

I think it is important to remember this date and to not become complacent. Many people have. They think we are safe, they think all is okay and that we should just get on with our lives. We cannot afford to have that attitude, anymore than we should forget WWII or the Holocaust. I'm afraid we shall remain divided and bicker about stupid things until the next big event occurs. :(

I shall place the link for the poem I wrote the week I returned home. A friend put the poem to music and here is the moving result.

http://www.narickarecords.com/music/Americ...trongMpsss1.htm

I realize the words may be hard for some eyes to see, so I am printing it below for those of you:

America the Strong - copyright© keeling & chard 2002

So you think you’ll go to heaven

We’re here to say you’re wrong

We’re America We’re freedom

We’re America the strong

For every part I grind today

It’s for the USA

We won’t be downed and trodden

You won’t stand in our way

For every flag we fly this week

We stand with pride and grace

You’re a pox upon your people

You’re a disgrace to your race

So we may cry a week or two

But we have strong resolve

There’s nothing we can’t handle

There’s nothing we can’t solve

You woke the sleeping giant

Brother, you haven’t got a clue

We’re America We’re freedom

We’re the Red, the White, the Blue

09-18-2001

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This link sent to me by James Hennessey:

http://www.mamarocks.com/in_remembrance.htm

Here is one powerful site that I had in my favorites.

The 9-11 Digital Library

Marion J Chard

http://www.september11news.com/

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/shattered/

http://www.likeanorb.com/wtc/index.php?Number=7

Thanks James. You're a peach! :wub:

Marion J Chard

I just had to share this with all my friends. Here is a very special way to remember 911. My cousin just sent this to me. Her mother, just passed away a couple of weeks ago and so this will have an extra special place in her heart and ours. So here's to all who perished that day, and here's to my Aunt Mary Ann. I will miss you too. :pal::heartpump:

Congrats cousin!!! I love you!!! :heartpump::heartpump:

HI,

I just had my 1st rehearsal for the Mozart Requiem and "Oh my God", it's going to be breathtakingly gorgeous.

I didn't go to last week's rehearsal cause I wasn't feeling up to it. I'm still incredibly exhausted as well as prone to crying on the smallest cue. And I was actually thinking of backing out of the concert all together - I was afraid I wouldn't be able to hold it together. When I talked to Georga about it, she said "but think of the incredible honor for your Mom if you sing your performance for her!"

So - I AM singing on Sept 11 (12:30) at Carnegie Hall and my performance will be dedicated to Mom and I am excited about it instead of trepidatious.

PRESS RELEASE

JUILLIARD AND CARNEGIE HALL PRESENT MOZART’S REQUIEM, IN REMEMBRANCE OF 9/11

The Juilliard School and Carnegie Hall present a community sing of Mozart’s Requiem, K. 626, in remembrance of 9/11, on Monday, September 11 at 12:30 PM in the Isaac Stern Auditorium at Carnegie Hall. Conductor Judith Clurman leads the Juilliard Orchestra and the Juilliard Choral Union and members of the community. Scores will be provided free of charge to all attendees. This special event, commemorating the 5th anniversary of 9/11, has been generously sponsored by The New York Mets.

The obit for my aunt...

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituar...291&fh_id=10690

Marion J Chard

Here is another way that the US will remember 9-11.

USS New York - LPD-21 Amphibious Assault Ship

With a year to go before it even touches the water, the Navy's amphibious assault ship USS New York has already made history. It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

USS New York is about 45 percent complete and should be ready for launch in mid-2007. Katrina disrupted construction when it pounded the Gulf Coast last summer, but the 684-foot vessel escaped serious damage, and workers were back at the yard near New Orleans two weeks after the storm.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, La., to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept. 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up." "It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? - 'Never Forget'

I saw a show on this just recently. I was very fascinated by the whole procedure and intent. I think it's a great idea and a wonderful tribute to those who died on 9-11.

Marion J Chard