How about a few things you remember,like

The large over coats with large collars

The shoes, they never wear out

The little cap you hung over your belt, what was that called

The K-rations, candy would never melt

WHAT ELSE

I remember:

Wearing a wool OD uniform in the summer

Dirt on my collar deep enough to scrape off with a knife!

Trying to march in road dust knee deep in Italy!

Seeing a large rock outcropping on an invasion beach in the south of France, and all I could think was Oh lord a tonbstone!

My first drink of whole milk on a ship coming home. The first in 23 months

The statue of LIBERTY in NY harbor in Feb. 46

pdhinkle;

Nice to see another viewer joining our ranks. The more you get into Marion's VI Corps, the more you will get hooked. She has something for everybody. Her mark is everywhere, because this is her baby, and she cares what goes into it.

By the way; This has not been a paid anouncement. In fact, as you climb the ladded, promotion wise, you will find that the pay is lousy. But being her friend more than compensates.

Back to your post; You mentioned how it felt coming into N.Y.Harbor and seeing the Statue of Liberty. There is not a sight on this earth that can strip you to the bone as she can. I made Four trips past her, bringing troops back for discharge, and I can still hear the ships' horns blasting a salute as they passed. On one trip

we followed the Queen Mary into port, and with upwards to 5,000 troops aboard, we could hear their cheers all the way back to our boat(sorry Navy) our SHIP.

You say you came back in 46. Could you have been on the Rollins Victory; Edmund B. Alexander; or the Willard S. Holbrook? Who knows,, could be.

One last thing; Walt's daughter has a site I wish you would visit. Go to "Shooting the Breeze" and click on "Memories". We want viewers to tell us of anything they remember of the past. As in your case PD, if I'm allowed to call you that. You mentioned marching up Italy. I'm sure it wasn't that simple. If you feel ok talking about it, you will have willing ears.

Shooting the breeze---Memories

chucktoo

pdhinkle: ' " Wearing a wool OD uniform in the summer

Dirt on my collar deep enough to scrape off with a knife! "

How damn true. Remember them well. Best memory was relaxing after we captured

Bertesgaden and knowing the war in ETO was over unless we were sent for the Japanese invasion which didnt happen. Then it was just waite to be sent home as our

point count came up. Had enough with France, Germany and Austria as a dogface rifleman.

The little cap you hung over your belt, what was that called

Overseas cap.

Is that what you mean?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veterans Cadetat6 2 5,133 01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Last Post: chucktoo1926