Church Parade

:direct::direct:

May I please ask you to remember that I was one of many that did what they were told to do,when they were told to do it and the way they had been taught to do it. Much of it was like a conditioned reflex in that you responded - then thought about why you reacted that way!

Having said that here's a story that is about WW II that I hope you will find entertaining and uplifting at the same time.

I had a soldier in my Company from Brooklyn,NY who was a 4.0 grunt in every respect. He took a lot of kidding because he was Jewish and sounded almost like a movie character with his Brooklynese accent.

In England prior to leaving for France, the unit had a Church Parade for all who wanted to attend. Very few refused this opportunity I might add. Two lines of 6x6s were lined up to transport the men to their choice. Protestant/Catholic

Unfortunately,Harry's name had been left off either list because there was no Jewish Chaplain available to conduct a service for them.

When the trucks were about fully loaded Harry came to me and asked to be taken to the Catholic Service. I explained to him that he wasn't on the list and there was no Officers available to add him to it but that did not sit well with him because he was Orthodox and felt he should attend a Service.

Discussion followed but time was running short for departure so just as straight faced as a statue he yelled at me "You Christians forget Jesus Christ was a Jew - so I'm going" and he jumped on the truck. I didn't know the Captain had overheard all so he said "Sarge forget it let him go!! You can't argue with that kind of logic and determination!!".

I never got a chance to tell Harry how much I respected his determination and for this I'm sorry.

Sgtleo :pdt12::pdt12:

No, you can't argue with that logic. :lol::lol: Good ol' Harry. I'm sure he earned from brownie points from the almighty that day. -o-

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

:drinkin::drinkin:

What I truly loved about Harry was that first he was a GOOD Soldier but I think he was the best scrounge I ever knew while I was in. My favorite in a new area!!

You could lock him in a sealed room completely bare(the room that is) and when you returned shortly he'd have the whole GD thing furnished.

:beamme:

Sgtleo

One of those enterprising sorts, huh? Gotta love guys like that. Need something? No problem. Give 'em an hour. Hey he would have been good on the Apollo 13 project when it went awry. Here's to the Scrounger! :drinkin:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church Notre-dame (Saint-Lô) sixgun 3 4,850 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Last Post: rennog