No "T(h)anks

:tank: :tank: :tank:

The City of Rennes,Northern France was taken some time between the 30th of July and the First of August 1944(not positve of actual date) just after the breakout from Coutances but I will never forget this incident. The City had been secured and most of the Krauts were gone but some snipers were still around so it was still necessary to CYA to be polite.

My Plt. was given an area near one of the only bridges in the town to patrol to prevent it's being blown-we were something of a roving patrol in a jeep with a .50cal. mounted on it.

We were riding with what we called "cat eyes" lights(no headlights were allowed) so the visibility was limited. Slowly rolling down a side road near the bridge through a wooded area the guy on the .50cal. kicked my shoulder and pointed to the treed area and when I looked up he had cupped his hand behind his ear and was pointing to the trees.

Rolling to a stop,we then all heard the distinct sound of a Tiger Tank exiting the trees and in his haste to get off the road the driver put us in a ditch on our side the .50cal. was useless.

We were then left with two M1s a Thompson MG and three .45s so the only thing to do was run like H**l for cover but never saw anybody outrun a bullet!!

Slowly the Tiger approached and the turret with the infamous "88" was pointed in our direction but nothing had been fired at us which was a big mystery to us. When it was practically on top of us,the top hatch opened and a head popped out and we heard "Hey GI's we're FFI and can't use this without gas you wanna buy it-Ha HA-?".

At that point,we didn't know whether to shoot them after they all got out or to kiss them because they were FFI but first a change of clothes was needed by all three of us.

Called the CP and asked for a disposition for the Tiger and the intellegence guy replied "Get rid of it ASAP"-I often wonder if it's still in that river after it was slowly run off the bridge.

Why we grew up and old fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sgtleo: -o--o-

Think I needed to visit the ladies room after reading that one. I could actually hear the sound eminating from the tank tracks. EGAD! :wacko: That's probably one sound that you DON'T want to hear again.

I can remember things that would make my dad wince while we were watching WWII movies together. He didn't have to say anything. His body language spoke multitudes. :(

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Another wonderful story...Thank you again Sgt. Leo. It sort of reminded me of the final 20 minutes or so of "Saving Pvt. Ryan" (only for REAL) when Hanks & two others are waiting behind a burm of debris, which soon begins to vibrate... as the screeching sound of a Tiger tank's bad bearings is heard approaching slowly.

Probably just as well you were unable to use the 50 cal. Had the Tiger been full of Krauts it would only have served to p__ them off anyway! :o Keep 'em coming!

kind regards,

:woof: Jim