This Day in History - August 15, 1945

This Day in History

I thought I would post this here as a reminder of how different some cultures can be. I know it was and is hard for most Americans to imagine.

August 15

1945 The Japanese emperor speaks

On this day in 1945, Emperor Hirohito broadcasts the news of Japan's surrender to the Japanese people.

Although Tokyo had already communicated to the Allies its acceptance of the surrender terms of the Potsdam Conference several days earlier, and a Japanese news service announcement had been made to that effect, the Japanese people were still waiting to hear an authoritative voice speak the unspeakable: that Japan had been defeated.

That voice was the emperor's. In Japan's Shinto religious tradition, the emperor was also divine; his voice was the voice of a god. And on August 15, that voice-heard over the radio airwaves for the very first time--confessed that Japan's enemy "has begun to employ a most cruel bomb, the power of which to do damage is indeed incalculable, taking the toll of many innocent lives." This was the reason given for Japan's surrender. Hirohito's oral memoirs, published and translated after the war, evidence the emperor's fear at the time that "the Japanese race will be destroyed if the war continues."

A sticking point in the Japanese surrender terms had been Hirohito's status as emperor. Tokyo wanted the emperor's status protected; the Allies wanted no preconditions. There was a compromise. The emperor retained his title; Gen. Douglas MacArthur believed his at least ceremonial presence would be a stabilizing influence in postwar Japan. But Hirohito was forced to disclaim his divine status. Japan lost more than a war-it lost a god.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

:direct: August 15 1944, D Day in Southern France...Lets not forget...

AL

That's for certain. Wow, to think of what your were doing on this day, alongside my dad's unit. Gives me shivers... :unsure:

Marion J Chard

The emperor said they must now "Endure the unendurable.." meaning the surrender. The Japanese got off light, considering the "unendurable" conditions that were placed on Allied POWS. Just like with the Germans, only a very small percentage faced war crimes tribunals after the war, and a smaller number yet were ever executed. I guess my attitude is not in keeping with the times, but I find that studying WWII and the atrocities that were committed has left me short on forgiveness as far as the axis powers are concerned. This does not excuse the way we treated the US born Japanese Americans, but that's a different ballgame...they were not starved, beaten and tortured.

:woof: Daddy Jim

I was on Panay Island, in Philippines and thought GREAT . Now I can go home.\

I did not get home until March 1946.

papa Art

The emperor said they must now "Endure the unendurable.." meaning the surrender. The Japanese got off light, considering the "unendurable" conditions that were placed on Allied POWS. Just like with the Germans, only a very small percentage faced war crimes tribunals after the war, and a smaller number yet were ever executed. I guess my attitude is not in keeping with the times, but I find that studying WWII and the atrocities that were committed has left me short on forgiveness as far as the axis powers are concerned. This does not excuse the way we treated the US born Japanese Americans, but that's a different ballgame...they were not starved, beaten and tortured.

:woof: Daddy Jim

The 442nd. Regimental Combat Team arose from these Japanese Americans

their Motto was and is, ""GO FOR BROKE"", WE, 34th I.D. gave them their

baptism of fire in Italy. Some of them still come to our reunions. Roque

And quite a combat team they were Rocky. Nothing but the best!

Marion J Chard

Two photos, before and after.

The first photo are the 36th Combat Engineers landing on Red Beach in Southern France.

According to Captain John Fallon,

"...is Red Beach on 15 August 1944. Apparently this picture was taken in the late PM as there is no enemy action. This was the extreme left , Western, side of the landing. If I am not mistaken that tall guy looking at the jeep trying to get ashore is Sgt Holley, 1st Sgt of H Company."

post-11-1157391766_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Red_Beach_Southern_France.jpg (Size: 56.98 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Second photo:

Once again according to John,

"is Red Beach Cap Cavalaire in Southern France a couple of days ago... picture was taken by a young French fellow who proudly wears a 36th Engineer Hat I sent him and I greatly appreciate the honor he shows us..."

The photo was taken by Gilles and was sent to both of us too.

post-11-1157391884_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Red_Beach_Southern_France_09_06.jpg (Size: 31.19 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Super transport photo - June 7, 1945 Walt's Daughter 2 4,226 05-28-2016, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Bombing of U.S.S. Franklin 1945 Castle Films Newsreel; World War II sixgun 0 2,193 11-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Last Post: sixgun
  Heidelberg 1945 Walt's Daughter 1 6,120 10-30-2014, 06:32 PM
  Stars and Stripes on EBAY, dated March 27th, 1945 Walt's Daughter 1 2,614 01-22-2014, 01:05 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Transport ship General W P Richardson - June 7, 1945 Walt's Daughter 0 2,402 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM
  V-E DAY MAY, 1945 afc7883 1 2,911 05-07-2012, 09:21 PM
  Sinking of the MS Wilhelm Gustloff 1945. colinhotham 3 4,024 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  This Day in history... April 12, 1945 Walt's Daughter 0 1,806 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM
  Crossing The Rhine in 1945 afc7883 1 2,679 02-23-2010, 10:15 AM
  VJ-Day - remembering that date 1945 Walt's Daughter 2 3,393 08-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas