291rst Engineer Btn

Anything Engineer is probably not news to Marion, but I saw a program tonight about the 291rst, and a Colonel David Pergrin's engineers... who blew the bridges ahead of Kampfegruppe Peiper, spoiling the plans of Der Fuhrer during the batlle of the Bulge. Actually it was part of a DVD I ordered from the History Channel about 'Unsung Heroes of WWII'...a theme close to my heart ;) . There are so many small groups of Americans that were responsible for turning the tide of that offensive...it just really makes you proud every time you learn more about these boys! None of them will ever become household names, but I believe it was that small unit initiative that Americans seem to posess that really lead the way to victory...

So.. :drinkin: to 291rst!

:woof:

I had the honor of talking to the COLONEL on the phone. He called me a few months ago. I have his book, First Across the Rhine. Here's the posts regarding this. :pdt34:

Yes, so many amazing stories to read. They all make me feel SO PROUD OF ALL MY ENGINEERS! :pdt20: To the 291st! :drinkin:

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?sho...c=1552&hl=291st

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?sho...c=1552&hl=291st

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Guess what Dogdaddy?? I am sending my book, First Across the Rhine to the Colonel tomorrow. He is going to sign it and also send me his other book with autograph too! I am so honored and very excited.

I just got done watching The Bridge at Remagen about a half hour ago. So now I am really geeked!!!!! :pdt12::tank::pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Guess what Dogdaddy?? I am sending my book, First Across the Rhine to the Colonel tomorrow. He is going to sign it and also send me his other book with autograph too! I am so honored and very excited.

I just got done watching The Bridge at Remagen about a half hour ago. So now I am really geeked!!!!! :pdt12::tank::pdt34:

Wow W-D...that is exiting news! That really will be an honor for you. Please give The Colonel our best wishes and a big Thank You for spoiling Christmas of '44 for Rowdy Peiper & his crew of Nazi SS vermin! :D

:woof: DD

Speaking of kicking Peiper's ass, here's a great article that I think many will enjoy, Engineers in the Battle of the Bulge by William C Baldwin. Stuff of true grit, stamina, bravery and some damn good fighting and persistence.

http://www.usace.army.mil/publications/eng...-1-42/c-7-4.pdf

Marion J Chard

Just finished reading that PDF article. It's no wonder you are so proud of your father being an Army Engineer! No matter how many different accounts I read of the Bulge it always comes down to the critical part the engineers played in delaying and battling the Germans. So many stories of bravery under fire, like the Pvt. who waited to fire his bazooka until the Kraut tank was only 10 yards away, blinding him....and then still being able to toss a grenade at the sounds approaching. These are stories that make you proud to be an American. :pdt34:

Just finished watching again the story of Col. Pergrin's unit on my "Unsung Heroes of WWII" DVD, and picked up a few new things I'd missed. For one, that was a very young group of engineers...averaging just 18.9 years of age! The average WWII soldier was 24 years old. Also, following the action at The Bulge the 291rst went on to build a 1000 ft. bridge across the Rhine...in just 30 hours!! :o

:drinkin:

The Colonel was true to his word and sure enough a package arrived in the mail today. Enclosed were two books; First Across the Rhine, (the book I had sent to him to be signed), and a copy of the book he had for me, Engineering The Victory - Battle of the Bulge - A History. Both signed by him. A very proud moment for me.

Thank you Colonel Pergrin. Thank you so much. :pdt34::pdt20:

Marion J Chard