Points for dis-charge

Any one rember this ? Pacific was 95 points,I think!

Don Langer passed away on November 4, 2004 USMC

discharge. Points: 1 point for each month in service, 2 points for each months overseas, 5 points for every ribbon, and 5 points for each additional star. 85 Points were needed for discharge; I had about 125 and received my discharge out of Bainbridge, MD

The ASR or Advanced Service Rating Points System found on the Enlisted Record and Report of Separation was used to determine a soldier's eligibility for discharge. The higher the score, the closer one was to going home. At the end of the war in Europe, 85 points were required for discharge. This was later lowered to 75 as demobilization continued and finally reached 60 in November 1945. Many found the system confusing and it did not apply to all servicemen. For example, pilots went home after 25 combat missions regardless of points accumulated, although they still remained in the service.

The points were awarded as follows: 1 point for each month served in the Army, 1 point for each month served overseas, 5 points for each campaign star worn on theater ribbons, 5 points for the first and each award received such as Distinquished Service Cross, etc., and 12 points for each child at home under 18 years of age (up to 3 children). Points were awarded for months served between 16 September 1940 and 12 May 1945.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cole's bayonet charge memorial Carentan sixgun 2 4,045 10-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Points system WWII Walt's Daughter 10 12,753 03-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas