540th Newbie

Hello!

I'm the grandson of Paul DeMaio, 2nd Battalion 540th Engineers, C Regiment, F Company.

Since he passed away in 1977, I never got to learn much about his experiences. Had he been around longer, I'm relatively certain he would not have talked about them either.

This means that I don't have any stories to exchange with anyone, just some memories of a pretty cool guy smoking Pall Malls, working as an engineer at Westinghouse, and who would occasionally take his wife to nearby Pittsburgh to meet with a fellow 540th engineer (if you here, let me hear!).

I'd like to hear from anyone who can shed light on the movements, actions & engagements of F Company. Thanks to Marion, my contact info can be found on the site under Newsletters - VI Corps Engineeers - VI Corps Vets & Family Addresses. Feel free to contact me; if you'd like, you can email your number and I'll contact you so I'll foot the bill!

Finally, no thanks could be enough for Marion's efforts. Since finding her site, I've gone from zero to having a library at my disposal! And by looking at these boards, it appears she has the VI Corps family growing!

Cheers,

Rob duMaire

El Paso, TX

Welcome Rob,

I too had a relative who was a WWII soldier. He was killed in battle so I never got to hear his story. There are many knowledgible people here to answer your questions and also the honor of talking to the vets!!!

Hope to see more of you.

Kyle Thomas

Paul, goes without saying that it's great to have you here and so wonderful to add you to our ever-growing family. :pdt34:

I went to a family memorial this weekend, and my husband was passing around my article about the 540th. Several people in our family asked, wow, how did you find out all this stuff? :wacko: I explained how I started off with a small candy box that's been by my side since my dad died when I was age twelve, and an insatiable desire to know more. I explained that I had some memories of conversations around our dining room table when I was a wee tike, but other than that, just a dozen or so photos and some patches and pins. I am living proof that you can go from almost nothing to what you see today.

I don't have to tell you how exciting it is to get that initial tidbit of info. That sets off that spark and you just want MORE!

It's great that we can all help each other. Each of us offering some knowledge that the others do not have.

Seems that quite a few members live in PA. I started calling that the 540th state. :pdt12: I will be there in September for the 36th's reunion and I'm hoping that some of you will be able to join me to represent the great 540th'ers. We need to carry on their fine tradition.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion:

Like I said in email, I will try open up my schedule for the reunion, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it due to my school schedule.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Ballantine Books' "Illustrated History of WWII" series, but "Battle Book No. 15" is on Anzio. It covers the operation from a very broad perspective- it never mentions specific units, but mentions VI Corps frequently. That's why I'm engrossed in your website & really looking forward to a book from you: stories that are little more close to home. Your article in WWII magazine is a perfect example of that, and it's exactly along the lines of the info I'm searching for here!

If you don't have "Anzio: The Bid For Rome", I just checked eBay- you can get it for under $10. My grandfather collected just about everything published on WWII through the 60's and 70's, yet I find myself constantly referring back to this one book because of all the illustrations & maps!

I also had a question: I had never heard of it until seeing your site, now I see it everywhere- what does your father's company, H&S, stand for?

Rob duMaire

Just a quick note before I go out the door...

I also had a question: I had never heard of it until seeing your site, now I see it everywhere- what does your father's company, H&S, stand for?

That stands for Headquarters and Service Company. They kept the regiment in supply, provided the motor pool, etc. More later....

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Derreck.Jett 6 7,868 08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Newbie! stelric 3 5,110 09-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  How Newbie can you be? kfitch 9 11,325 01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Jiggersfromsphilly