Famous Americans and the GI Bill

Taken from the Military Connections Newsletter

Famous Americans Who Went to School with the GI Bill

Our newest site features great American actors, musicians, scientists, business pioneers, authors, politicians, comedians, and writers who put their hard earned veteran benefits to work:

Johnny Cash, R. Lee Ermey, William H. Rehnquist, Tito Puente, Bill Cosby, and more.

http://www.gibillamerica.com/gibill-johnny-cash.cfm

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Some pretty interesting reading on that site. Too bad actors of this day and age cant get on our side.

Ya, I hear ya. Actually there are a lot, but they tend to keep quiet. You hear interviews now and then and read articles in certain papers. I think most are just afraid of getting lambasted by the Hollywood, pretend do-gooders.

It's easy to spout yourself off as a humanitarian when you have millions of bucks. Easy to talk and say that we should do this and fund this and that. But when you live in our world (hey I think they call it reality!), then you see it's not all so cut and dried.

Marion J Chard

Yes Marion: The G.I. Bill. This G.I. Bill was not promised or even thought about when

we enlisted or were drafted. It came out in I believe 1945 and was a Godsend to many of us. I used only 9 monhs of it to go a trade school although I had much more education time available. (for some uknown reason I chose refrigeration and air conditioning trade school) . I was lucky and had no problem getting a job that made me a nice comfortable living and a good retirement . Our tuition and books were supplied plus a substistance of $ 65.00 a month while in school.. On enistment I was promised only $ 52.00 per month and would be in until wars end plus probably 6 months more.

Instead, we were given education chances, subsistance, and a $ 300.00 "mustering out pay" from a gratefull country. Oh yes, we even paid for our life insurance (6.40 per mounth for $ 10,000 life insurance in the Army. Again, lucily I kept mine even as of now and with the accumulated dividends gives me a very nice insurance, many more times the original $ 10,000 in paid up life insurance. No complaints from me on the old G.I. Bill either. I kinda wonder just how many would today enlist with these type of promises on enlisting that we had.

Its a shame that theywatered down the bill a few years ago. So many prospered with waht those benefits brought. So many business's were founded by the men who came home from war and created something with the educations they recieved. How many who are so well off, are the beneficiaries of that legislation. It would be too liberal to recreate it today. So many would protest it as "TOO COSTLY" Damn Shame!

Jigger: I did not know the G.I. Bill went downhill. In what way did this go. Seems to me more bennies are available from what I read. Educational beifits eeem to be more

so. Dont know about "substistance payments" (mine was $65.00 per mo.) Far as starting a bussiness, my self and a buddy ww2 vet tried for a bussiness loan and was no- go. No re up bonus. No college credits in service. (too busy) . We were damn happy for what we recieved as it was never promised on elisting. Far as a G.I . morgage, it was only 1/4 of a percent less than standard and too many rules and regs

and time so I didnt bother. So where is it lacking now. I am not up on it.

Well here's the website:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/

This is Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty as of Oct 1, 2006

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/rate...rates100106.htm

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Obama plans to make vets bill their OWN insurance arve 7 8,994 03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  New Bill Signed Walt's Daughter 0 2,701 12-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter