My articles & book(s)

Great article.

I learned something. I didn't know the 540th had 4000 troops in it when it was in Italy. Thought that came later when it was a Group.

Steve

That was just for the landing party. The 540th worked many times as a shore regiment so often times were attached to or had other units attached to them. At those times their unit numbers swelled.

Many of the engineer units changed from regiments to groups and this was actually no big deal. It's only a name and DID NOT affect the actual group structure or integrity.

For example when the 540th changed from 540th Engineer Combat Regiment to 540th Engineer Combat Group, the only thing that changed was 1st Bn became the 2832nd and 2nd Bn became the 2833rd. In other words it was all pretty superficial.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I wasnt able to read the sidebar on the pdf version.

So if I understand you right ,the layout would be similar to a coffee table book with alot of pics? Or do you have something else in mind?

chris

Yes, moving more towards a coffee table type layout. Gives me a lot more latitude. I am going to do all the layout work myself too. I will probably use the same software that Col Mike, the editor of Army Engineer Mag is using. He does ALL the layouts for his magazine using that software.

I really like the look and feel. I want to have the ability to do black and white and color and have pretty much total control over my project.

Marion J Chard

Great job Marion. Like so many others I look forward to reading more of your work. Two things are for sure. It is a labor of love, and it is very very well researched.

Congratulations,

Parker

Thank you very, very much! Yes, you are right; it is a labor of love and that comes from the heart. Regarding the research, well I am giving my very best shot and always try to confer with my vets to make sure that what I am presenting is as factual as it can be.

I am trying to get some last minute stories for the book, so am lighting a fire under a few behinds :lol: to get people motivated. I find that is what I love about my favorite books, so want to make sure I get as many anecdotes, etc. from the vets before it's too late! :pdt20::pdt20::pdt20:

Marion J Chard

Okay, how sweet is this. Thank you for the recognition John! :wub::wub:

The new issue of the Army Engineer has a double winner for us. I knew it was going to publish our great historian,Marion Chard's Story on the 540th in WWII. It is a dandy and she is a great friend of the 36th and maybe we can convince her to do the same for the 36th.

But, hold the phone! In the same issue is a story about the old 36th 2nd and 3rd Battalions getting together again, in Iraq. Right now they are the 14th and the 19th Engineers and we feel as close to them as anyone who has ever worn our seahorse.

Go now , on the double, and get a copy from your library or, if worse comes to worse, buy one.

36 Engineers are rugged......John Fallon II. Capt. USA Ret.

And a second email!

I knew you would ring the bell. What a great story and I do hope you can adopt us as honorary dads. I know we are all proud of you.

36 Engineers are rugged......John Fallon II. Capt. USA Ret.

Marion J Chard

Am spending several hours today sorting and filing all my info on the engineers and other related units. Am making good progress. Can't write without good organization, so many hours are put into that.

Each man has his own folder, each unit has their own folder, and so on down the line. The HUGE piles are becoming smaller. :lol::lol:

Anyone wanna come on down and spend a weekend and help? :lol::lol: I'll provide da beer and food.

:drinkin::drinkin:

Marion J Chard

So hows writing Sis? I am so out of the loop... Love ya

Hey Cin:

Well it's getting there and I am making progress, but it's a slow road. I am working on a couple of chapters, but waiting for more information from the men who have promised me documents, stories and photos.

I have managed to get all the records and folders into order, so now it's going more quickly. Had over 2000 pages of docs from NARA alone, to sort by month and date. A big job! :armata_PDT_23: Now I know where everything is. Just a matter of putting it all together.

Thanks for inquiring.

Marion J Chard