1109th Engineers

Hi all! I am the Great..Great Niece of Harry D. Gray who was a part of the 1109th Engineer Combat Group. My Uncle was so scarred by the war that he never talked about it to anybody. I know that at one point he climbed the Eiffel Tower...and at another point, he helped liberate one of the camps and making the townspeople come in to see everything. Other than that, all I have is a copy of his obituary that reads as follows: "Harry Daniel Gray, 92, of Painted Post, New York passed away Thursday (February 12, 2015) while at the ICU at Robert Packer Hospital. A lifelong area resident, he was born on August 10, 1922 in Spangler, Pennsylvania, the son of the late Harry and Anna (Saltzgiver) Gray. Harry was a WWII veteran that landed D-Day on Omaha Beach. He fought with the Engineer Corp. 1109 and built the bridges needed to move Eisenhower's army forward. He participated in the battle at St. Lo and the extremely brutal Battle of the Buldge. Though he was a true hero, he was a modest man who did not talk about his experiences until very late in life, and even then he never divulged the worst of what he saw."

This is all I know of my precious Uncle's experience. I want to know more. If you have any information regarding the 1109, please let me know! Not much is available through my online searches.

Thanks!

Cerissa M. Kimball

Okay I MERGED two related topics on the 1109th. I think this makes it much easier.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Welcome to the forum Cerissa.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,592 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter