Future Engineer's Reunion - Please voice your opinions!

More responses and thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Every little thing helps me and makes it seem not so overwhelming. :wacko:

-------------------------------------------------------

My dad's Air Corps group did a similar thing about four years ago..it used to be just their bomb group (468th), but the number of people who could attend dwindled to the point that they moved the organization up one notch...now it includes the entire 58th Bomb Wing...turnout for that has been pretty good. Even at that, they are appealing to the children of the veterans to join the organization so that they can keep the reunions alive.

So, yours is a good approach...the larger crowd you can draw from, the more likely it is that you will have some success.

Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well it sounds great to me but it depends on when and where, if I could make it or not. I would love to meet you, and it would be great to meet some of the vets and talk to them and hear there stories. Keep me posted, and if I could help in organizing it or not, let me know. What kind of response have you had from others? Well later--- Glory

---------------------------------------------------

Here are some excerpts from BK:

...But in truth, the organization of such an event is no more complicated than arranging a long weekend at a resort for your family (let's say, of four). You just have to multiply the bodies, sort of. Give yourself plenty of advance time, say 4-6 months. Also, get a tag-team partner to help with the project (maybe another child of a vet - preferably someone with good org skills!) -- you will need it at the event.

First order of business, choose a city (senior-friendly, centrally located, nice weather, easy access by air from all corners). Second, get a nose count (in the process, develop a complete contact list with snailmail addresses, phones/ faxes, e-mail). If you call up the Catering/ Events Managers of three choices (mid-range as regards price, lots of vets are broke) and they'll do the work of producing the info about the venue. You would negotiate the great room price based on the number of rooms required. Add ten more than your estimate; you can adjust it within 6 weeks of the event.

The Easy Reunion stuff was very nice looking because Susan produced it herself. Included in a 2-page newsletter was all the information about the hotel and its environs, all the details about how to book their accommodations (all make their own-you only reserve a block of rooms at that great price you negotiated). I seem to remember a return (to you) postcard with their choices ticked off -- maybe that was done to get the nose count.

Anyway, that's all I know. It takes time but with good initial organization, it should be okay. The oldies without kids who want to come along will probably require a bit more attention making the deadlines, etc., but other than that just one thing at a time!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great time, from start to finish!

...The Easy guys used to get together with no probs, Bill did the coordinating. They'd pick a city, show up and hang around and yuk it up for 2-5 days. After the series, it got to be too cumbersome with all the interlopers...

... My point is, the reunion used to be a big hospitality suite with beer and cocktails available nearly all day!! -- some nibbles (Bill always provides his AWFUL stinky Italian cheese!! LOL), etc. The Saturday evening was the "banquet" night and they'd dress for the evening, have some rubber chicken and dance to canned music. Bill would make some announcements and Company business would be discussed, but otherwise, all they ever did was sit around and jaw and sip whatever. They didn't need an Access Pass like rock stars or nametags or any of that stuff which came into play after the miniseries to keep out the groupies.

Since you have several groups involved, you will need them, but they're a snap to produce and distribute at the door when people sign in. You just need to think through how each day will go and then you can see easily what needs to be done or produced...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Sounds like you have several answers to your idea of the reunion, it would be fun to see all these people, but like I said Archie probably wouldn't go even if I wanted him to. St Louis wouldn't be so bad, have been there to a Auxiliary Convention. Like some of the others money is an object, with hotel rooms costing so much. I don't know why they have to be so expensive. We can get a room in Kearney for $41, that isn't so bad, but $100 is just too much to pay.

Let me know what you receive about the reunion...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonderful. Glad to see the reception to the idea. May I suggest that you keep prodding and posting, but after some time, broadcast to all of the responses and call for volunteers for committee and organizational work.

-Have them name their area of interest-like location, publicity, program, whatever. Ask them to indicate their connection and their identification and address information. Get a representative committee and I suggest that one major reunion among all of VI Vorps would be quite an undertaking. If and when it happens, prepare to fragment into regions, North-South-East-West-Midwest---move it around.....

Just random ideas. Russ

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Future Engineer's Reunion - Please voice your opinions! - by Walt's Daughter - 01-10-2005, 05:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  291st Engineer Reunion - 2014 Walt's Daughter 1 6,003 11-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  2017 Seahorse Reunion - 36th and 540th Walt's Daughter 13 15,581 10-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  36th/540th Engineer Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 8 11,049 11-19-2015, 05:34 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Info for 39th Engineer Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 0 3,850 03-31-2015, 03:56 PM
  Anzio Beachhead Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 0 3,525 03-26-2015, 04:19 PM
  284th Engineer Combat Battalion Annual Reunion cincinnatikid 7 11,043 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM
  36th/540th Reunion - September 11-14, 2014 Walt's Daughter 23 25,731 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM
  VI Corps Combat Engineers 2013 Reunion Walt's Daughter 22 24,790 06-10-2013, 09:45 PM
  36th/540th Combat Engineer - 2012 Reunion Walt's Daughter 40 46,592 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM
  697th Newsletter - Reunion 2013 Walt's Daughter 0 3,553 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM