The hotdog vendors - Great vets!

The other day I was shopping for our store during the 4th of July holiday. I had to make a stop at Kmart in West Branch, then drove across the parking lot to Glen's, our local supermarket. It was quite a crowded day with lots of people milling about and I noticed a vending truck set up not too far from the entrance. Hmmm, I thought, looks good, for I hadn't eaten breakfast. But nonetheless did not stop because I had chores to do.

On my way out, I looked over again, and waves of hunger were still rumbling. No I exclaimed, no fattening hotdogs this noon. Go home! :lol:

So I placed the groceries in my the back of my car, and proceeded to drive off. But, in the interim there had been a change of scenery! As I neared the hotdog truck on my way to the driveway, something caught my eye. Hey wait, that wasn't there a couple of minutes ago. It was a BEAUTIFUL WWII jeep. But wait there's more. I saw the words on the front bumper, Cmbt Eng.

So I pulled past and saw three older gentleman sitting around a table. I HAD to stop. I jumped out of my car, ran over to them and said, "Good afternoon gentleman, who's taking me for a ride in the jeep?" Boy did that get their attention. They were all smiles.

"Hey, my name's Marion and my dad was a WWII vet. In fact he was a combat engineer!"

And thus began new friendships. A great group of vets. We talked for several minutes and had a lot of fun. The one gentleman owned the jeep and told me about it's restoration process and that he was a combat engineer too. They asked about my dad and I handed each of them one of my cards. I'm writing a book about the VI Corps vets, I said. The 36th, 39th and 540th. Then one of the other guys really perked up. That's my regiment he said. The 36th. I couldn't believe it. Wow. Another coincidence? Marion, I said, you were meant to be here today.

Well, I told them I had to run, but would have loved to stay longer. We exchanged names and phone numbers, etc. They invited me to come out to the fair in a few weeks and see the new memorial. Told me to bring my dad's photo there and they would add it in. A great day.

On the way out I shouted, "Now remember, next time you're taking me for a ride in the jeep!" :pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Wow! What a coincidence! How far were you from home?

I need to get out more. But there is not much going on around here that I would bump into someone like that. I need to set-up a display again but don't know where.

That was cool.

Steve

That's one of our nearest BIG towns, and it's a 15 mile trip and north of our place. That's where I always go to shop. Now that I'm a country girl, I call it, "going into town". :lol:

The other nearest BIG town would be Standish and that's about 15 south of us.

Marion J Chard

Interesting that this Vet was so close geographically but so FAR away from your Website. He probably has never seen your site. I hope he has access to look at it.

SC

Glad to hear you found another ol' Seahorse,Marion. It seems as though these meetings are becoming a common occurence.

By the way....If you're ever in West Branch and hear someone with a loud boomig laugh - it's probley my Uncle enjoying his retirement. He and my Aunt live several miles east of town and I'm sure you can hear that laugh of his fairly regularly ,all the way in town!

Yes, what a great surprise to run into a seahorse! :pdt20:

Wow, didn't know you had a brother who lives so very close to me. Heck, if you're ever in the area, please give me a call. That would be great!

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Penzeys Spices call for "grilling vets" - gets response from WWII veteran Walt's Daughter 1 3,478 04-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  World War II, Korean vets get their medals Walt's Daughter 1 2,836 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  WWII vets hold annual reunion in Tawas MI Walt's Daughter 0 1,925 07-12-2011, 06:39 PM
  WWII VETS - were you ever re-issued dog-tags? Walt's Daughter 45 34,562 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM
  German town asks WWII vets to come back Walt's Daughter 1 2,760 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Bomber Vets Fly Again! Walt's Daughter 0 2,040 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
  American House honors 3 WWII vets - Michigan Walt's Daughter 0 2,199 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM
  Great Photos 3_7_I_Recon 4 5,404 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  more WWII Howard Vets arve 3 4,366 08-25-2007, 10:35 AM
  Great PBS links - Secrets of the Dead! Walt's Daughter 0 1,828 05-26-2007, 02:41 PM