Lt Stancy Lewis

This veteran's son has compiled the records about his father's experience in Italy. His father didn't talk much about it so most of what he knows is from the records of his promotion and citation for the Bronze Star Medal.

As you read this, be praying for Mr. Lewis and his entire family, as he has been diagnosed with a fatal disease.

Lt. Stancy Lewis, Co. B, 310th Combat Engineer Battalion,

Stancy was born in Marshalburg, North Carolina. He was inducted at Ft. Bragg N.C. and after basic training, he transfered to Camp Shelby, MS, and began training with Company B, 310th Combat Engineers of the 85th "Custer" Infantry Division. He entered the war in North Africa, as a Staff Sergeant and was later promoted to an officer during the campaign in Italy.

Sgt or Lt Stancy Lewis in Italy

Lt-Lewis1.jpg

Recommendation for promotion to Officer.

General Order dated 12 Sept 1944. (Quoting only a portion of it.)

On or about 20 May 1944, Sgt. Lewis' platoon accompanied a force on an amphibious operation from GAETA, ITALY to SPERLONGA, ITALY. During the voyage the amphibious vehicle in which Sgt. Lewis and approximately half of his platoon were riding sank. Sgt. Lewis kept the group together, encourage and sought assistance for the poor swimmers and was largely responsible for the lack of panic which prevented a large number of casualties.

On or about 21 August 1944, his platoon was engaged in clearing the streets of EMPOLI, ITALY for the passage of traffic, when his platoon leader stepped on a mine. Sgt. Lewis saw to the evacuation of the officer, took over the platoon and completed the task at hand, despite the presence of numerous mines and intermittent artillery fire.

A Bailey Bridge installed by 310th Engineers to span a portion of a blown bridge.

RepairedBaileyBridge.jpg

I should have more photos of Lt. Lewis' company that I will post on his biography page that I'm building.

Steve

Keep Mr. Lewis in your prayers.

I'd also like to add another story of two other engineers of the 310th Engineer Battalion, who were killed in action. Many of these brave men exposed themselves to sniper and hidden mines while carrying out their daily duties. This soldier's story gives some insight into daily combat.

S-2 Section, 310th Engineers at San Clemente, Italy - January 1945

JeepHQ310Engr.jpg

Photo caption identifies the men (L to R): Captain Kloeris, Cpl Donaghue(driver),

and the passengers in rear as Tech Sgt Tolbert, Tech Sgt Bemis, and Cpl. Gittman.

Three months after this photo was taken, the 5th Army broke through the German lines south of Bologna, Italy, and began agressively pushing towards the Po River. As the 85th Infantry Division advanced northwest from Bologna, past San Gionvanni, it approached their first major river, Panora River. Just prior to reaching the Panora River, Sant' Agata Bolognese was entered without any resistance on 21 January, 1945.

Tech Sergeant Winfred W. Tolbert, Company B, 310th Engineers was killed in action in this small town. The following letter was sent by Chaplain William A. Sanders to the family of Tech Sergeant Tolbert upon his death and described how it happened.

"The vehicle in which your brother was riding drove into the small Italian village and stopped; the occupants dismounted to secure information from Italian civilians. With no forewarning, one of the enemy came around the corner riding a motorcycle, and, with a burst of fire from his machine pistol, gravely wounded your brother. Sympathetic Italians placed him in his vehicle and carried him immediately to a medical aid station, but your brother was dead upon reaching the aid station. The action took place in Northern Italy."

Captain Paul W. Kloeris, 310th Engineer Battalion commander, added the following:

"He now lies buried beside his good friend, Corporal Donaghue, who was killed with him."

According to this letter and the records, Corporal Frederick M. Donaghue, Jr. was also killed at the same time as T/Sgt Tolbert. T/Sgt Tolbert is buried at the Florence American Cemetery in Florence, Italy, but Corporal Donaghue body was reclaimed.

Interesting to be able to put this story together with the above photo that was taken 3 months earlier.

Steve

As always, thank you Steve. It still gets to me every time I see a photo and then find out that that person was never to return home. Always sadder when putting a name to a face. :(:(

It's great that you too, are placing their stories on the net. They will never be forgotten.

Still amazes me how the engineers had to put their lives on the line all the time to prepare the way. Some say that they weren't in combat. Oh yeah, right!!!!!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This veteran's son has compiled the records about his father's experience in Italy. His father didn't talk much about it so most of what he knows is from the records of his promotion and citation for the Bronze Star Medal.

As you read this, be praying for Mr. Lewis and his entire family, as he has been diagnosed with a fatal disease.

Lt. Stancy Lewis, Co. B, 310th Combat Engineer Battalion,

Stancy was born in Marshalburg, North Carolina. He was inducted at Ft. Bragg N.C. and after basic training, he transfered to Camp Shelby, MS, and began training with Company B, 310th Combat Engineers of the 85th "Custer" Infantry Division. He entered the war in North Africa, as a Staff Sergeant and was later promoted to an officer during the campaign in Italy.

Sgt or Lt Stancy Lewis in Italy

Lt-Lewis1.jpg

Recommendation for promotion to Officer.

General Order dated 12 Sept 1944. (Quoting only a portion of it.)

On or about 20 May 1944, Sgt. Lewis' platoon accompanied a force on an amphibious operation from GAETA, ITALY to SPERLONGA, ITALY. During the voyage the amphibious vehicle in which Sgt. Lewis and approximately half of his platoon were riding sank. Sgt. Lewis kept the group together, encourage and sought assistance for the poor swimmers and was largely responsible for the lack of panic which prevented a large number of casualties.

On or about 21 August 1944, his platoon was engaged in clearing the streets of EMPOLI, ITALY for the passage of traffic, when his platoon leader stepped on a mine. Sgt. Lewis saw to the evacuation of the officer, took over the platoon and completed the task at hand, despite the presence of numerous mines and intermittent artillery fire.

A Bailey Bridge installed by 310th Engineers to span a portion of a blown bridge.

RepairedBaileyBridge.jpg

I should have more photos of Lt. Lewis' company that I will post on his biography page that I'm building.

Steve

----

Hello all,

My father, Stancy Lewis, passed away on October 28, 2006, after a long struggle with prostate cancer - and

ultimately congestive heart failure. He would have been 88 on his birthday in December.

Daddy was able to be at home, with his family thanks to the amazing services provided by and

through Hospice of Charleston (SC). It is through their help guidance we we learned to deal

with death and passing - but it was daddy's strength and sense of humor that built the bridge.

I wish to thank Steve Cole for his efforts in helping tell some of the story about our fathers in the 310th.

The more I learn, the more proud I am of each and every one - and of the loved ones & friends who

remained on the home front also working tirelessly to win through to victory.

I would like to hear from any and all related to these men, and will try to share photos (and background)

as I locate them. Fortunately, my mom is still with us - still strong and a wealth of information about

those times and trials. She has been able to fill in a lot of blanks. Also, in the months leading up to

daddy passing, I asked about many of the 310th activities and operations. Daddy would, as best he could,

fill in the blanks. Usually, though, his stories were about the friends he made there - and sadly, some he lost.

Anyway, I will begin contributing to this forum in the near future - but, for now, thanks to all.

Randy Lewis

Photo - Lt. Stancy Lewis, in 1968. post-329-1182168903_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Daddy_Paper_1965_75.jpg (Size: 53.39 KB / Downloads: 0)

Welcome Randy!

First off, condolences on your father's passing. Seems so many of us are in that same boat now. :unsure: But I am glad to hear that your father was able to fill in many of the blanks by telling his side. Also it's great that your mom is still around and also able to share her wartime memories. :wub:

Thanks for joining. Can't wait to hear more. I hope that others will be able to share their thoughts and stories with you too. We have a fine engineering family here, and I'm always thrilled to hear from another "kid". :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"