Ration Stamps

Hail Betty Crocker! You be da woman. :14_1_106:

This topic was rather timely, wasn't it? :drinkin:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

As long as we are going into wartime recipies I recall the one us Infantrymen used to make in our foxeholes.

We called it Kraut Pudding. Crumble 3 C ration hard crackers in your canteen cup. Add a saved cocoa ration,

a saved fruit, date and nut bar, 2 packs sugar. Crumble the fruit bar. Add hot water and mix. No ration points needed. Quite delicious on a cold day. All enredients available from C and K rations packs. Ever hear of it Roque?

As long as we are going into wartime recipies I recall the one us Infantrymen used to make in our foxeholes.

We called it Kraut Pudding. Crumble 3 C ration hard crackers in your canteen cup. Add a saved cocoa ration,

a saved fruit, date and nut bar, 2 packs sugar. Crumble the fruit bar. Add hot water and mix. No ration points needed. Quite delicious on a cold day. All enredients available from C and K rations packs. Ever hear of it Roque?

Hi Joe! Hadn't heard from you in awhile, thought you were a POW. Kraut Pudding,

That's a new one on me, Joe. But we all had to make do the best

way we could. Roque

:heartpump: Hey Joe: Missed ya sweetheart. Good to see you here.

I never heard of that either. A little more Yankee ingenuity! :clappin: Here's to Kraut pudding!

Marion J Chard
Here's a bit more!

I was only 11 when Pearl Harbor was bombed so don't remember too much

It's ironic but my Dad drank Postum all teh time uncil coffee was rationed!

Funny but I don't remember ever being without cookies and cakes etc.

We did use molasses. Ginger cookies etc

Sugar and Coffee

Sugar was the first table food rationed during World War II; sugar rationing began in the spring of 1942. So many shoppers were purchasing hundred-pound bags that stores soon set a limit of ten pounds for each purchaser. The U.S. government issued War Ration Book One in early May 1942 to ration sugar and coffee. This first book contained coupons to present at each purchase. The sugar ration was eight ounces for each person per week. The amount was later increased to twelve ounces. Office of Price Administration (OPA) inspectors enforced the rationing restrictions as best they could.

The sugar shortage meant putting less sugar in drinks and foods and finding substitutes such as saccharin and corn syrup. Honey was another popular sugar substitute; beehives were reportedly stolen in California for their honey. Coconut kisses sweetened with honey and molasses replaced chocolate kisses. Restaurants put less sugar in their sugar bowls and asked customers to limit their use. People bought more goods from bakeries to avoid depleting their own sugar supplies at home.

Relatedly...

The rationing of coffee started in November 1942. The threat of looming coffee shortages and rationing led to much hoarding, which only caused shortages to occur sooner than expected. To combat hoarding, the government froze all sales of coffee in late October 1942. Citizens were allowed one pound of coffee per adult every five weeks. Coffee drinkers who wanted more than their rationed amount had to resort to the black market or rebrew their used coffee grounds. Many who were not coffee drinkers began drinking coffee to make use of their coupons; others gave coffee ration coupons as wedding presents. Rationing of coffee stopped in July 1943.

"It's ironic but my Dad drank Postum"

My father drank Postum until the day he died. One day a friend of mine noticed it on the kitchen table. She started laughing. She had read the label quickly and thought it said "Instant Possum" . Having tasted it, I think that might have been one of the main ingredients.....

I went through rationing in the UK and could'nt wait, as a teenager, for sweets to come 'off ration' in the early

1950s!!

Please tell this limey what Postum is/was?

Colin.

:tank:

I'm from the states and I had never heard of it. I had to look on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postum

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien
Gee I learned something new too. I did remember the name (it rang a bell), but couldn't remember at all, what the heck it was.
Marion J Chard

I dont recall postum, the only coffe substitute i remember is some nasty sludge made from chickory root.

A good website with a lot of info on ration stamps:

http://www.genealogytoday.com/guide/war-ration-books.html