OLD GANG DETROIT

was 20 years old and never had a date. I had played sand lot base ball when ever I could. . When I was about 14, I played hard ball with Ford Motor Ball Club. My brother was manager and many games had only 8 men to play ball. That is when he had me play. Very few boy’s had a car but I was one who did have a car, actually it was my father’s but I always drove it.We hung out at Simone Shargabain ice cream and candy store at Grand River and West Grand Blvd.. Up-stairs was Lucky Strike Bowling Alley and next door was Beacon Theater. Some of the guy’s were Chuck Coons, his brothers Fred,Merle, and babe, then Art Sheabal, his brother Harry (we called Kitche) then Don my next door neighbor,, then Wilbur Crans,then Goodman boy,, then Clifford Ong , then Bob Kerr, then Wesly, and others About 1942 Simone moved his store out Grand River to S Clarendon Street. This is were I met my love Micky (Charlotte) Matthews. . Don my neighbor told me he had a date and his date had a sister, would I want to double date. Two reasons I got the date ,one was that I was the only one with a car, and second was , Micky mother would only let her daughters date if a second daughter was along . Micky had six sisters. Don’s date was with Micky and I was with Blance. Don and I picked the girls up at Simone store and drove to east side to 8 Mile and Gratiot, the Easr Side Amusment Park. In the park we came to large barrel we would have to walk through as it turned. As we stood there I looked at Micky and thought to my-self that she is beautiful, how I wished she was my date and Don would have Blanche.We walked through the barrel and took the girls home. That was the end of our double date

We all had a good time together. It was more like a friend's outing than a date. Two nights later, Micky was on her way home from her job at G.M.C. She stopped at Simone's soda fountain shop where I was having a frozen Power House candy bar. We talked and Micky turned on the fountain counter seat and said she had to go home that is two blocks away. I askher if she wanted a ride home and she said sure. While drivng her home I ask if she wanted to go for a ride amd she said yes.

We drove to Belle Isle in my father’s 1940 Ford and one section was a parking that you faced the river and watch the boats go bye. There was no open parking space so we had to ride around the island. A couple of times riding around I thought how I would like to stop and kiss Micky. When you come to the bridge there was about 5 or 6 driving lanes that all turned right and takes you back off the island. Luckly I was in the 6th lane that took you over the bridge or you could drive straight and go around again. Something in my heart said go straight and I did. This time there was a parking space open. I parked and we had our first kiss. We watched the boats and then Micky said she had to go to the bath room. We left and stopped at first bath room and it was pad-locked, I looked at my watch and it was after mid-night, so was the second bat room locked.Going across the bridge Micky said she really had to go. I new if we turned left to go home we would not find a restaurant so I turned right and found a restaurant about two blocks away. I stopped and Micky used their bath room. About four months later we got engaged just before I left for Army Air Corps cadet training. I returned to Detroit to get married during a week long furlough.

Micky and I were apart for the next two years as I was sent to the Philippine Islands and occupation duty in Taegu, Korea. I returned home to her in July, 1946. We celebrated our 57th wedding anniversary May 15, 2001. Then Dec. 30, 2001 my Micky went to be with our Lord. Our daughters and son-in-law are Toni Ann Morneweck, Terry & Jack Ellis, and grandson Tim 16. We all live in same neighborhood in Novi. Micky's sister Blanche Rosendale, now lives in St. Clair.

Art Morneweck

Art: You are one lucky man. I understand every word you wrote

It sounds wonderful to me too. Romantic, memorable, inspiring, touching... Papa, I'm glad that you have such delightful memories to reflect upon. Many people do not have such things to reflect upon. I am sorry that they indeed had to end. Sounds like heaven right here on earth.

God love you and Micky!

:wub::wub:

But I do have to say, it's the same way I feel about my hubby. I DO feel lucky to share the same love. Guess it's rarer than I thought.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Simone Sweet Shop -Detroit Cadetat6 0 96,075 11-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Cadetat6