Expert Infantry Badge

Some one asked about the EIB and I could not find the posting so here is some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_Infantryman_Badge check it out

ON the CIB inside the wreath would be a star for the 2nd war the GI was awarded another CIB A WW2 vet who served in the comabt infantry in Korea would have a CIB with a star. If he went to Vietman after 2 wars He, have 2 stars. I have seen a few.

The CIB I earned ion WW2 was enough for me. I wore it without anyh ribbons like many other GIs. I got the medals for the ribbons 50 years later. I wear my CIB on my dress blazer

Quote: ". Due to the rigid testing procedures, many holders of the EIB value it more than the CIB. ".. I'm afraid I cant agree with that bit. At least during WW 2. How

about it Roque, and you, Watson, agree with that??? The CIB , and the Combat Medic

Badge are earned the "real hard way" . Not from a classroom test, or a few hikes, or

a day at the rifle range plus other testing and at days end hot chow and a beer to celibrate passing a test and then back to a nice warm bed. Sure, just maybe a few

didnt truely "earn" a CIB in reality during WW 2 but almost all sure did earn it.. My

CIB is my most cherishted award of all I recieved.

Paul,

That was me that asked all the detail Q's. The article is good info. It mentions the case when someone earned both the EIB and CIB...

In such cases, the CIB has precedence according to Army Regulation manual 670-1.

So the CIB is regarded as a higher accomendation in the Army's eyes, too.

One more question---and still referring to WW2 in general.

Did officer's wear the CIB? or the EIB?

And this could mean an officer straight out of OCS or an officer who was promoted up thru the ranks and saw combat as an enlisted?

I think I've seen several photos of WW2 officers with the CIB.

I just wonder who would you expect to see wearing the EIB in the European Theater? A soldier who took the infantryman's training and then was assigned some other duty, such as HQ Staff or maybe even a Medic. (I think I recall that the Medic Badge did not exist in WW2.)

Steve -- an ex-Air Force O-2 who was never around Army bases.

Custerman: Combat Medics Badge was from Mar. 3 '45. During both the war in ETO

and the war in the PTO. I cant recall seeing a officer or enlisted man wearing a EIB

during or immediately after wars end in ETO. I feel it was well past time when the Combat Medics Badge was issued and should have been done the same time as the

CIB was authorized. in late '43. CIB was authorized for officers rank up to Col. during ww2 and possibly no changes in other wars/conflicts since.

Custerman:  Combat Medics Badge was from Mar. 3 '45.  During both the war in ETO

and the war in the PTO.  I cant recall seeing a officer or enlisted man wearing a EIB

during or immediately after wars end in ETO.  I feel it was well past time when the Combat Medics Badge was issued and should have been done the same time as the

CIB was authorized. in late '43.  CIB was authorized for officers rank up to Col. during ww2 and possibly no changes in other wars/conflicts since.

Joe; I was awarded the C.I.B. in either the spring or summer of '43. We (135th)

had just come down off the mtns. Watson you saw my pic. standing in front

of a straw stack mud all over the place including me. During the day I was

notified that I was going to get an award. So the Lt. handed me the C.I.B.

and I asked him,"What the hell is this?). He said it just came out and means

you are in combat and try to clean up because you are getting another award.

So I pinned the C.I.B. and that afternoon I got the Bronze Star. So about all

of the medals I have, the COMBAT INFANTRY BADGE is my MOST prized

possesion. So the thing is People can talk about how it came about or

is it the same as the EIB. In my book there is no comparison. This is my

thought right or wrong. How about it Joe,Watson, Kyle I haven't forgotten

you. You know our reunion is the first weekend of Sept. AWOL maye,HUH.

Rocky.

Incidently when did the EIB appear?. I have never seen one.

Roque: I believe the EIB came out the same time the CIB was authorized. And you are

not alone, I never saw a EIB (being worn ) as of yet either. Just pics of it. I still cant

figure out just why the Combat Medics Badge took till early '45 to be authorized as our

medics sure deserved it. And now a "combat action patch ?) or something. for hearing

a explosion in the distance or God knows what ?