Vet recalls intense fighting in Italy

Rocky, just fixed it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. The Lt and Capt ranks were backwards. Looks like I take a demotion... :pdt33::pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

ROCKY SGT ROIG AND I WENT IN TO MILAN ,HE WAS RIDING IN MY JEEP,WHY I DON'T KNOW. THE PARTISANS,I THINK THEY WERE CALLED ,HAD ERECTED A SCAFFOLD LIKE RIG AND HAD MUSSOLINI AND HIS MISTRESS HUNG UPSIDE DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN

Watson. Were you in Milan to see Mussolini strung up? Or did you go there later? I need to talk to you. My Dad said he was there. I'm looking for anyone who was there. I'm trying to understand how the GI's got to Milan as it was still ahead of the Allied advance when Mussolini was executed by Communist partisans.

Please tell me more.

Steve

More on that fateful day:

Execution of Mussolini - custermen.com

This photo shows was taken at the Piazza Loretto in Milan. I count 8 American helmets in this

photo. Maybe one of the GI's in this photo could be Watson and my Dad.

MussoliniGI.jpg

Watson ole buddy, you got the hang of this forum, jes keep on writin'

How come you got a 5 day pass to venice and all I got was one day!!!

I got an idea but I will keep it to myself, I would have liked to have

seen more of St.Marks Cathedral. But the gondola ride was pretty good.

Fellow by the name of Demerest,and one other, Demerest was in my squad

but I can't remember the other, anyway we had a nice time. Rocky

Rocky, just fixed it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. The Lt and Capt ranks were backwards. Looks like I take a demotion... :pdt33::pdt12:

BATTLEFIELD PROMOTION, THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE

NORTH OF ME. MUCHAS GRACIAS, Y HASTA LUEGO. Rocky

Hey Roque: I asked Marion to keep me at my old rank of PFC and she wouldnt or couldnt do it. This rank is WAY out of my line as a PFC. rifleman but thats the way it

goes I guess. So just enjoy "battlefield promotions" and live with it.

Yup Joe, the forum does it automatically. Here we honor you for whatever station you held in REAL LIFE, but you are given the rank of honor for your contributions.

Trust me, all the men and women who frequent this forum and other military forums, respect ALL you guys from Privates to Generals and we do know the difference from the PLAYING we do here. :pdt20:

So to all the vets here regardless of true rank, I salute ya! :pdt:

PS to Joe:

Make sure you check out these photos this evening:

http://dogface43.skyblog.com/

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

CUSTERMEN,I DON'T REMEMBER GETTING OUT OF THE JEEP.IT WAS MORE OF A DRIVE BY. I REALLY DON'T REMEMBER WHY WE WERE EVEN THERE. I KNOW MY SGT ROIG HAD SMETHING TO DO WITH IT OR HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN MY JEEP.BEING AS I WAS A MOTORIZED MESSENGER ,WHEN WE WERE IN COMBAT IAN ARMED GUARD RODE WITH ME ALLTHE TIME.

SORRY I CAN'T BE OF MORE HELP.

WATSON

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  387th Engineer Battalion in Italy FSavage 3 3,310 04-03-2022, 05:47 PM
Last Post: FSavage
  WWII veteran recalls fighting at Cassino, Anzio Walt's Daughter 2 5,006 06-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Photo of 34th Monument - Italy - 2010 Walt's Daughter 0 3,349 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
  Found!!!! Picture of my Father in Italy `44 Wendy 5 7,245 06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  This Day in History - Italy March 12, 1944 Walt's Daughter 3 6,194 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
  Cassino, Italy Walt's Daughter 16 15,307 09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
  The 88th in Italy Walt's Daughter 1 3,908 04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Custermen