2nd and 3rd Armored re-enactment

My fellow re-enactors just returned from a re-enactment in Viesville, Belgium this past weekend.

It was the anniversary of the towns liberation by the 2nd and 3rd Armored divisions. They both took different routes into different villages. On Saturday we convoyed on the path of the 2nd Armored and on Sunday we took the path of the 3rd Armored.

I got to ride in a Jeep for about 5 hours over the weekend. What was really awesome was being able to retrace the exact route they did 60+ years ago. Also as we drove through the villages the residents came out to wave and cheer us on.

It gave us a warm feeling inside especially when we would see some people that remembered the real liberation. To still see a smile as we drove by.

The attached picture is of our convoy. If you would like to see more I can post them.

Kyle

post-11-1158777967_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC00157.JPG (Size: 591.08 KB / Downloads: 0)

Kyle,

Thank you...I'd love to see more pics. One question: Do any of the townspeople ever turn out in period costume to cheer you?

Jim

Kyle,

Thank you...I'd love to see more pics. One question: Do any of the townspeople ever turn out in period costume to cheer you?

Jim

Jim,

Believe it or not the owners of all those vehicles are the towns people!!! My friend and I are the only americans that show to these places. We get treated as if we were the original liberators.

Its amazing how they still thank us for winning the war!! My friend and I treated them to an all out American BBQ that weekend. They loved it!!!!

Kyle

post-11-1158778904_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC00140.JPG (Size: 602.52 KB / Downloads: 0)

Another picture.

Kyle

post-11-1158778998_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC00141.JPG (Size: 591.13 KB / Downloads: 0)

Kyle:

Man am I envious. How cool is it that you got to follow the exact routes. Wish I could have been there. Thank you for posting the photos. Post as many as you wish as far as I'm concerned.

Must make you feel all warm inside to have all the townspeople come out to wave and greet all of you. Kind of makes me weepy and nostalgic. -_- And to know that some of those same folks saw the same scenes 60 years ago. Wow!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

As we were driving through the viliages I commented to my friend that those people must have seen this firsthand.

After that we made sure we singled out the older folks when we waves or raised our weapons!!

I got a little teary too as we were riding. I try but its hard to put myself in their shoes 60+ years ago.

I made a goal for myself while I am here and thats to participate in as many things as I can as to teach what happened to as many people as I can.

I am taking a group of Boy Scouts to the Ardennes American Cemetery on Vets day this year so i can pass on what I know.

Kyle

Kyle: Good going on re inactments. I continually get E mails from a guy named Mitchy

from France whose group does reinactments of the 3rd Inf Div. I help him out once in while for help. If interested his E mail is MichelMITCHY@aol.com

From what he wrote he is a State Trooper in France as of now.

Thanks Joe,

I will have to look him up!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beautiful pictures of re-enactment sixgun 0 3,164 01-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Last Post: sixgun