UNIFORMS of WW2

I thought I would a thread just on uniforms that are your favorite. Or maybe you have a photo of a terrific specimen from a musuem---maybe Patton's own outfit. If you are an expert on combat uniforms and gear, please post a photo with details of each item.

Steve

Tunic-- 15th Air Force NCO - Gunner

Tunic_15AF.jpg

After talking to a Veteran who flew 50 missions as a tail gunner, I bought this 4-button tunic

just "as-is"but missing the wings. I added the Gunner wings and a patch for the 15AF(which flew out of Italy).

Details: 4-botton enlistedman's tunic with Army Air Corps collar insignia.

Gunner Wings - depicts a bullet on it. A bomb signified a Bombadier.

Ribbons include the Air Medal with oak leaves, and campaign ribbons. Right pocket is the Distinguished Unit Citation ribbon.

RH Sleeve has 6 bullion overseas stripes and one re-enlistment stripe.

[in the background is a shirt with the TRUST Forces patch]

Hey Steve: Here is a all original A-2 leather flight jacket, also from the 15th A.F. in Italy. It belonged to my lifelong friend Sgt. John J. Cosby, New Monmouth NJ, who was

a B-24 gunner in Italy and given to me prior to his death a few years ago. It was made

during WW 2 by J.A. Burow. Right now it is on E Bay for sale. Jacket is a litttle big for

my daughter.

post-36-1147446442_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Picture_063.jpg (Size: 157.06 KB / Downloads: 0)

This is the nicest piece I have in my collection, a Tropical Kriegsmarine M1940 Helmet...

Jim

post-36-1147452207_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   501.jpg (Size: 18.39 KB / Downloads: 0)

This WWII uniform I picked up yesterday @ the antique flea market I attended, and it is simply gorgeous. Very high quality tailoring by Brooks Bros., complete set with uniform jacket and matching trousers. All it needs is a good dry-cleaning to be mint condition!

post-36-1147466259_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0007.jpg (Size: 32.04 KB / Downloads: 0)

a Tropical Kriegsmarine M1940 Helmet...

That is a keeper.

I have a Police M1940 that my Dad brought home. I don't have a clear photo of it. I will try to get a shot and post it this weekend.

Steve

You guys rock with your collections! :drinkin:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

This is your plain "Ike" jacket that was very poplar and very comfortable. I bought this example in a shop in Glendale, CA, because it is not your typical example. This guy was trying to make an impression with the Top Brass in HQ.

"Ike Jacket" .................. SHAEF HQ, Signal Corps

Tunic_15ArmyGrp1.jpg

This soldier was currently assigned to Supreme HQ Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF) and his previous service was the 15th Army Group HQ. This jacket has 4 brass collar discs: two "US" discs on top and two Signal Corps discs below them. (I'm currently displaying it correctly with only one US on RH and a Signal Corps on LH collar.)

It has 5 overseas stripes of bullion weave and a re-enlistment stripe.

What makes this jacket unique is the detail.

Every patch on the uniform is sewn with a white cross-stitching pattern.

This is a patch of the 15th Army Group which was top command of all troops in Italy.

Tunic_15AG_Patch.jpg

The ribbons are not the standard cut ribbons mounted on metal. These are

hand-made using colored thread. The red has faded over the years. The

lower RH ribbon is for occupation forces, so this was worn after WW2.

And to keep his uniform neat, he sewed the pocket flap shut.

Tunic_15AG_ribbons.jpg

This example shows how uniforms can vary in condition, detail and quality.

Steve

a Tropical Kriegsmarine M1940 Helmet...

That is a keeper.

I have a Police M1940 that my Dad brought home. I don't have a clear photo of it. I will try to get a shot and post it this weekend.

Steve

Thanks Steve...I'm trying to cobble together a mannequin display, piece by piece. So far I have the helmet, a set of tropical Y-Rieman, belt,buckle and beltbag. I cannot afford a real tunic and breeches at this time, so I might have to substitute.

BTW...beautiful Ike jacket! That guy was a real Peacock (not Ike). I love those jackets, in particular the chocolate brown colored ones. Your collection must be a realb treat for your students. Nice work! Looking forward to seeing that Police helmet too :pdt34:

Jim

post-36-1147537878_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   28427.jpg (Size: 73.84 KB / Downloads: 0)

Well instead of adding pictures, you cancheck out our online musuem at:

http://thor.prohosting.com/hopp1945

There is some of our uniform pieces there. Still working on the site, so keep checking in!.

Thanks Mec. Will make sure to place your weblink on the main site later today.

Looked at all the B&W photos. Great! I hope everyone else takes the time to look. Can't wait to see more as the collection grows.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7th Army uniforms ANDRE'S SON 3 7,405 02-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Last Post: mec1945