Good Foreign-language films, WWII

Another foreign film that is worth seeing is Downfall a German made film about the last few days in Hitlers bunker as seen through the eyes of Hitlers secetary Traudi Junge. The film is in German with English subtitles.

IMHO...one of the very best films ever made about WWII. If you are interested in learning more about the final days through the eyes of Traudl Junge, I suggest renting (or buying) "Blind Spot" which is a movie-length interview with her.

Jim

PS- Right now I'm still trying to figure out what in the hell "The Hill" is doing on TV as part of Memorial Day! :wacko:

Another foreign film that is worth seeing is Downfall a German made film about the last few days in Hitlers bunker as seen through the eyes of Hitlers secetary Traudi Junge. The film is in German with English subtitles.

I don't usually watch a movie 5-10 times in one year...this was the exception. Definately one of the top 10 best WWII films ever made. Another series, or actually "mini-series" worth a watch was the Masterpiece Theater production: Island At War, about the occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII. Available on DVD ..

I Love Movies about WWII, in case nobody has guessed! :wub:

:woof: Jim

I just finished a marathon viewing of the 1973 Soviet mini-series "17 Moments of Spring", which is based upon Operation Crossbow (also called Sunrise) in which secret negotiations were held between SS General Wolffe and American Allen Dulles in March 1945. This proposal was done (supposedly) without President FDR's knowledge, and would have allowed a seperate peace and surrender of German troops in Italy to Allied forces....excluding Russia. It also would have allowed some form of the Nazi Regime to remain in place, including high-ranking officials of the SS, and Germany would continue it's fight with Russia, now aided by troops that would no longer be needed in the western front. The true story is something I found rather shameful and was glad to know (or at least believe) that FDR would never agree to any plan which would allow the Nazis to stay in power. Further research has revealed that many in the US considered Dulles' actions treasonous, and I would certainly add my name to that list.

Sorry for getting off track here! Back to the movie! It comes in a 6-DVD set, with two 1-hour episodes on each DVD. Totally spellbinding and suspenseful as Soviet agent " Stirlitz", who is deep undercover as an officer in the Nazi SD matches wits with Gestapo chiefs Mueller and Kaltenbrunner. There are many sub-plots woven into this spy story and it is extremely well scripted and acted. Again...you must be willing to tolerate English subtitles.

The cost is about $54.00 at russiandvd.com, but you are getting about 12 hours of quality entertainment for your money.

:woof:

post-24-1158258446_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 418.44 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hmmmm, ya there's no way in hell FDR would have ever agreed to anything of that nature. It had been in his plans to accept no terms except for UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER. This occured very early in the war and is documented by the press at the Casablanca Conference on January 24, 1943, which was attended by FDR, Winston Churchill, General Henri Giraud, Charles DeGaulle and other Anglo-American Chiefs of Staff.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title...le=Allen_Dulles

During the 1930s Allen Dulles gained much experience in Germany, which made his selection in 1942 as station chief in Berne, Switzerland, for the newly formed Office of Strategic Services a logical one. Dulles supplied his government with much sensitive information about Nazi Germany. In 1945, he played a central role in negotiations leading to the unconditional capitulation of German troops in Italy.

http://aia.lackland.af.mil/homepages/pa/sp...Jul06/atc14.cfm

This was taken from a page regarding Dulles. I strongly doubt that he was arranging to keep some Nazi's in power because of his STRONG, and I repeat STRONG hatred of the Nazi's even before we were in the war against Germany.

https://www.cia.gov/csi/books/oss/art06.htm

An early foe of Hitler, Dulles joined the fight against Nazi Germany well before Pearl Harbor. He had persuaded Sullivan & Cromwell to close its Berlin office in 1935...

Hmmmm... I hate to say it, but I wouldn't trust anything out of the Soviet Union. That's my opinion. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I will send you the link Marion. The info did not come from the Soviet Union. It's from US files.

Jim :woof:

Sounds good my friend. B) Still sounds shifty though, knowing what I do of Roosevelt and Dulles.

Marion J Chard

Before we confuse everyone. :lol::lol: I realize that they say that the info is US-based, but however, it is still a SOVIET mini-series. So how much credence can I put in it? ;)

Seventeen Moments of Spring (1973) ("Семнадцать мгновений весны" in Russian), also Seventeen Instants of Spring is a Soviet TV miniseries.
Marion J Chard

Jim:

I hope you don't think I'm giving you a hard time. It's not that at all. I am glad you posted this here, but I'm just playing the devil's advocate. :fireyhair: I just try to look at both sides and am curious to the authenticity of the docs etc. Hey it very well could have happened, but once again...

Keep posting these and bringing them to our attention. :pdt34:

:D

Marion J Chard

Here's one I recommend  : La vita è bella Life is beautiful!

Italian movie by Roberto Begnini .

It's a film about a dad who tries to protect his son in a concentration camp !

I can't concurr on this one. It won several awards, but when I finally got to see it, I thought it was incredibly cheesy. It just isn't my type of flick.

:)

Brooke

Jim:

I hope you don't think I'm giving you a hard time. It's not that at all. I am glad you posted this here, but I'm just playing the devil's advocate. :fireyhair: I just try to look at both sides and am curious to the authenticity of the docs etc. Hey it very well could have happened, but once again...

Keep posting these and bringing them to our attention. :pdt34:

:D

Marion,

No problem here :lol: ....I try to look at both sides of every controversy too. I immediately got uptight when this part occurred in the movie (the meeting), because I love America as much as the next person, and a sight more than most , However.....I have learned that the Soviets are not the only government that conceals dirty laundry from the people, and that is why I began to research this incident beyond the movie. It's 60+ year old laundry anyway, so who gives a flyin' Frito ? :lol: Forget all that...it's a very good spy movie of about 12 hours in length. The reason I really enjoyed it is because the Germans (Gestapo) were not portrayed as bumbling idiots or cartoonish characters, as so often occurs. It keeps you on the edge of your seat.

:heartpump:

:woof: Jim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Training and other archived films from WWII Walt's Daughter 0 2,408 07-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter