Memoribilia and Collectibles

Can you imagine this times a dozen, or hundreds? All the propaganda pamphlets that were used during the war? Now that would make an interesting read.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Can you imagine this times a dozen, or hundreds? All the propaganda pamphlets that were used during the war? Now that would make an interesting read.

Oddly enough, you don't seem to find that many different types of these surrender documents in circulation, considering the amount of them that were dropped out of planes during the war! I have read that no Germans wanted to be caught with one on his posession...it was a sure death sentence from his own people. This one in particular interested me because it referrs to a specific army group...at a certain location...at a given date and time! ;)

DD :woof:

My sweet little aunt since me a nice post card from my Uncle(her husband's brother) that was dated 1944. Since her husband died, she has gone through some papers and she found several letters from my Uncle Jimmie. Jimmie was captured at Salerno and sent to Stalag IIB. She gave the letters to Jimmie's wife. I saw them at my last visit and pleaded for a cousin to make a scan of them. One was a hand-written letter that was dated on the night before he landed at Salerno---his last day of freedom for 1 1/2 years.

Well, my auntie saved one of the postcards for me and I got it this weekend. It is written on a card printed on Stalag IIB header. It has a Hitler postal stamp on it and a German censor stamp and an American censor stamp(I think).

Oh, it was dated 1 year and 1 day after his date of capture: 10 Sept 1944.

Steve

PS: Don't you just love those little Aunties.

Bless her heart! :heartpump:

Marion J Chard

wow, Custerman. That is a really cool aquisition. That is a truly unique item for sure.

Stuff like that is cool enough, but to be from a family member makes it outstanding.

Just had a chance to read all the above. I guess I am the only one that has no "sooveneers", Went in at Salerno did some mountain walking and ended up North of Bologna, place called Brescia. I did have a p38 but someone liked it better so I'll just say I lost it. Enjoyed seeing all your collectibles though. Been looking for a pair of WWII boots,2strap, and an Ike Jacket but no luck here in K.C. Mo. To old to start looking again..and no one to go with me now. Rocky

Just had a chance to read all the above. I guess I am the only one that has no "sooveneers", . Rocky

I think that will change in the very near future.... ;) Besides, all the collectables in the world pale by comparison to your knowledge of WWII Rocky. You are a treasure yourself! :pdt34:

Jim :woof:

Hey Rocky what sizes do you wear? Who knows, somebody may just see something that will fit ya!

Been looking for a pair of WWII boots,2strap, and an Ike Jacket but no luck here in K.C. Mo. To old to start looking again..and no one to go with me now. Rocky
Marion J Chard

Just had a chance to read all the above.  I guess I am the only one that has no "sooveneers", .  Rocky

I think that will change in the very near future.... ;) Besides, all the collectables in the world pale by comparison to your knowledge of WWII Rocky. You are a treasure yourself! :pdt34:

Jim :woof:

Hi Jim!! The mailman came today at noon and rang my doorbell, he handed me a package.---Looked at it and I almost called for a bomb squad,(terrorists you know), took a chance said a prayer and opened it up. When I saw what it was and I read the note, I sat on the FLOOR and openly cried. WHAT a surprise, mug with the 34th Divn patch on one side and on the other the 135th Regt. Crest,"To The Last Man". Jim words cannot explain the feeling I have and all I can say is thank you from the heart. What hurts the most is that I cannot share this with that someone. Thank you Jim, Now I have A "sooveneer." If you run across a pair of 9 1/2 or10 combat boots and a size 44 Ike Jacket , just name the price including shipping....Let me know. I will strut down the street with my mug with tequila and lemon. Got carried away. God Bless you Jim and all the 6th Corps. Roque of the 135th.

Am "a-lookin'" sweetie, for that Ike jacket... :pdt34:

Marion J Chard