Memoribilia and Collectibles

Must agree on how little was said in these telegrams. My mother recieved a WIA telegram infoming her my dad was being sent to the States from France on a Hospital

Ship (with no details) the week prior to my going over to France. It took me over 2 months to get any further word on his condition. This news made me one nasty S.O.B.

as a infantry rifleman.

It's hard enough waiting a day or two for news such as that, but to wait weeks and in your case, two months, is unthinkable. :banghead::(

I can't imagine what was going through your head. All the worst-case scenarios!

Your story reminded me of the Band of Brothers when he finds out his brother was killed in Italy the day he's making the jump. Turned into one mean SOB and gave him that fighting edge that's for sure.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Must agree on how little was said in these telegrams. My mother recieved a WIA telegram infoming her my dad was being sent to the States from France on a Hospital

Ship (with no details) the week prior to my going over to France. It took me over 2 months to get any further word on his condition. This news made me one nasty S.O.B.

as a infantry rifleman.

Joe, you and your dad were in WWII at the same time?

Brooke

It took me over 2 months to get any further word on his condition. This news made me one nasty S.O.B. as a infantry rifleman.

I can imagine.

Reminds me of Sgt. Bill Guarnere when he found out that his brother, Henry, was KIA on the eve of his jump into Normandy. This is described in the book/movie "Band of Brothers". Henry was KIA on 6 Jan 1944 and Bill found out about it on 5 June 1944.

I wrote Sgt. Guarnere about the loss of Henry. He signed off one of his letters with "I made up for him on D-Day".

BTW, I obtained the records from the National Archives on PFC Henry Guanere and how he earned his Silver Star----it relates to some of the other topics on N. Africa. Tech 5th Grade Henry Guarnere(yes he had a higher rank at that time) earned his Silver Star in Tunisia, N. Africa when he rescued a wounded man during an artillery barrage. Henry was a medic. The date and place were censored but the award was issued on May 7, 1943, by the 47th Armed Medical Battalion of 1st Armored Division.

Interesting that Henry Guanere earned his Silver Star in a circumstance similar to how Bill Guarnere lost his leg.

Steve

Brooke: Quote: "

"Joe, you and your dad were in WWII at the same time? " Yes, my Dad was on his way home after being badly wounded in France via a Hospital ship at the same time I was going over to France. Possibly crossing each other. My brother was also in the ETO as a Air Corps gunner on a B-25. Only my mother was left home. My Dad also served in France in WW 1. He was not a career soldier. He served from 1914 to 1920 and then in WW 2 from 1942 until his C.D.D discharge in 1945. (Certificate of Disability Discharge from the hospital). Having multiple family members serving

(including fathers and sons) during WW 2 was not unusual.

Joe, that's interesting. My grandparent's fathers were much older and would have been too old to serve. They both died in the 50s.

If you don't mind my asking, what did he do in the ETO?

Brooke

I don't have pictures to show yet, but I got a great deal this weekend on a Veteran's grouping consisting of captured Japanese flag with kangi (writing), a document which the soldier had to fill out in '45 to send the flag home, and two large, but fragile and yellowed maps of several of the Phillapine islands where this man fought. Pleased as I was to get these items, I always wonder how a relative can sell these memories. I still have my Dad's tattered and torn Navy jacket...some pockets held on with hot glue..and treasure the memory of him dearly. I wish so much that he hadn't insisted on throwing out his uniform when it got moth eaten (back in the 70's). All I have now besides that old jacket is a large photo of a handsome 17 year-old sailor....

Jim

Well Jim, there's a lot of people out there who don't give an "f" about those things, even if they belonged to their fathers. Me, I can't imagine it, but even a lot of vets I know say that their kids could care less. That is why some of them chose to give me their things because they knew I would dearly treasure them, share them with you, the viewers on our site, and never, never sell them.

In fact, I have made my daughter promise me that if anything was to ever happen to me, that my dad's things and my entire WWII collection including stories, etc. would be preserved and given to a museum, and that the site itself would be carried on.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I know what you mean. I go to auctions sometimes and can't believe the things people let go.

Brooke

This document I just received today. It is a surrender request which was dropped over Russian lines. It translates..."To the Red Army soldiers 1254 regiment, 378th Division. Your commander sent on Dec. 11,1943 a group of reconnaisance soldiers. This expedition found that our position around the village of Teremets was vulnerable. After your attack, a completely different result took place. Try to remember again the 11th of December, and what you personally had to struggle through that night During the several hours that you have been under the most severe artillary bombardment, the German weapons have carried death into your lines. German soldiers have destroyed all your bunkers and taken many prisoners. See how thin have become the lines of your three battalions. How many of your comrades have died? How many wounded? Do you know how many of your comrades have surrendered to us and come over to our side? All of them who are with us right now are going to have a happy future. All of them now acknowledge that everything you have learned from your political teachings regarding the bad treatment and food given by Germans to Prisoners is only a bad lie!"

"A bad lie..." Yeah Right <_< We all know the famous hospitality and good treatment of POWS by the Germans to the Russians,Jews, Gypsies & assorted others whom they considered to be Untermensch. I just love documents like this, and propaganda in general :direct:

:woof:

post-36-1161389508_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 202.21 KB / Downloads: 0)