Last days of Hitler

Oliver North War stories on Fox news will have a show " THe last days of Hitler" On sunday May 7th ( VE day) 0800 PM EDT

check it out http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155387,00.html

MOre on this subject
http://www.guardian.co.uk/secondworldwar/s...1474601,00.html after you open this article besure to click article continues

Thanks Paul. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Last days of Hitler :

You must see Der Untergang ! Great film with a great performance of Bruno Ganz who plays AH .

Book: THe death of Hitler Ada Petrova Peter Watson the russian account of the death of Hitler. Part II has an interesting subject: A Russian spy in Hitlers bunker. code name Shasa Kvap. only those who read this book has posted a searchable find for this spy. Using the full name or code name finds NOTHING in search !

You must see Der Untergang ! Great film with a great performance of Bruno Ganz who plays AH .

I just watched it last night. Here in the States, it is titled "The Downfall". I watched a borrowed DVD that was in German, with English sub-titles.

Steve

I just watched it last night. Here in the States, it is titled "The Downfall". I watched a borrowed DVD that was in German, with English sub-titles.

Steve

Steve ,

I am waiting for your remarks on "Der Untergang " . :rolleyes:

While you are waiting for Steve to reply, allow me to give this movie a big :pdt34: ! I have watched it 7 or 8 times now, and I seldom do that...in fact the only other I've watched that many times is "Saving Private Ryan." Great performances by entire cast!

:woof:

Will add that one to my NetFlix queue. Off to do that right now...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Steve , I am waiting for your remarks

okay. Ah-hem.. Let's see, where do I start. ;)

I'm not a great fan of the stories on Hitler and especially his last days. I am interested to know more about the political deals he made while rising to power but by the time April 1945 arrived Hitler was totally out of balance. This movie does protray this in ways that I have not read or seen. It shows the German commanders still under Hitler's influence and holding out some hope of a turn-around, that is until, they get news that the other armies are surrounded and may surrender. Then the staff begins to turn against Hitler.

It shows his reaction to Himmler's letter to the Allies with an offer of surrender. Then at the end of the movie, it shows the Russians turning down the German commander's request to negotiate a surrender----accepting only total unconditional surrender.

The story details the last days and the deaths of Hitler, Speer, and many of those inside the Bunker. You see the events from the secretary of Hitler and one young Nazi youth fighters, as well as a couple of other individuals who survived the Downfall.

As with most sub-titles, this was a distraction. In one scene where the narrator was reading a letter or talking about one thing and the action was showing another, I had to re-wind it to watch the action and then read the subtitles.

About the R-rating; it did have some violence and some nudity. I would not judge the violence that bad---not as bad as "Schindler's List" or "Saving Private Ryan". ((I had sworn not to see the movie "Munich" because of reviews about its violence but finally watched it and it wasn't what I was expecting.)) And the nudity a couple of topless scenes and one of those scenes was minimized---at least in my version I was watching.

The acting was great. The shots and scenes looked as real as could be.

Well, how is that? If I get bored around here on Memorial Day off, I might watch it again and give more comments. But there is already a lot of War Flicks on the Tele.

Steve

Hey thanks Steve .

I find it a great movie but a dangerous one .

In some scenes you almost feel sorry for Hitler ! Compassion !

It's easy to create a wrong interpretation .....

But a very strong film it is !

Lenn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HITLER'S CHILDREN Walt's Daughter 2 4,532 03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Hitler's SS: A Portrait In Evil Jim Davis 0 3,668 01-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Jim Davis
  Hitler Speaks - The History Channel Walt's Daughter 2 4,744 08-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  "Hitler...The Rise of Evil" afc7883 16 17,141 06-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Iwo Jima 36 Days of Hell 3_7_I_Recon 4 5,324 04-08-2007, 03:29 PM
  D-Days in the Pacific Walt's Daughter 3 5,548 10-26-2006, 07:58 PM