What are you reading?

Happened to be working in the store this afternoon, when a gentleman walked into the store. What are you reading he asked? I smiled and showed him my book, The Technical Services, The Corps of Engineers: The War Against Germany.

We started laughing as he commented about my choice of reading. Long story short, I told him about my research regarding my father and gave him my card. He told me about his father and mother and how they met during the war in Italy. He then told me about one of 7 brothers in the family and how he died in Liepzig just a couple of weeks before the war's end. He said they didn't know much, not even what unit he was with. So I told him to send me his name and I would send him a list of research tools.

In the interim I told him to check out the local newspaper in the town where the gentleman lived. So he is going to look through the archives of the Wyandotte, Michigan papers. I said that during the war each town listed the casualties from the war in their local papers. It would include his date of death and the unit he was in. Ah, a fine start. He is also going to locate his grave because that would also include info. :pdt34::pdt34:

He said he was so glad that he asked me what book I was reading. Me too. Goes to show you, you just never know...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
What are you reading? - by Walt's Daughter - 10-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reading Vet's stories in December afc7883 17 12,427 12-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy