Your WWII collections

I recently discovered something while working on my documentary, and it should give you cause for alarm -

Do some hard-core research and read the fine print before you donate your WWII items/collections/memorabilia!

A friend of mine whose father was in my dad's regiment, donated everything in his dad's collection to a certain university. At the time he thought he was doing the right thing. Now he wonders and questions his choice. Why? Because he had shared material with me for use on our website and the documentary, and after re-reading the agreement this month, discovered he had given away all rights to those items, and in essence it was illegal for anyone including himself, to reproduce or share any of it with anyone.

Do you, the veteran, or you the family member, want your cherished items to wind up this way? I should think not! Do you think it's right to have to ask for permission to place your stories or your images, etc., on our website or within a production?

I want you to think long and hard on this subject, and ask a lot of questions and read the fine print before you give away anything. What good does it do if your collection sits in storage at a facility? Do you really want to give up all rights to your material?

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Your WWII collections - by Walt's Daughter - 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Your WWII collections - by Walt's Daughter - 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Your WWII collections - by colinhotham - 08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Your WWII collections - by Walt's Daughter - 08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Your WWII collections - by Dogdaddy - 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Your WWII collections - by Walt's Daughter - 08-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Your WWII collections - by armored infantry - 12-22-2010, 12:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WWII Museum Center for Collections & Archives Walt's Daughter 2 5,578 02-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter